Windows ME Error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aerain

I have an AMD 800 MHz and 512 MB system that I built. I also have an ASUS A7V MB and a WD 30GB. I am running Windows ME.

The problem:

I formatted my harddrive and partitioned it. After I install Windows ME and all my other drivers for the computer, I get error messages on my DLL files when I try to open my IE or Netscape browser then my computer restarts by itself. When it loads back up, I get an error message reading "Windows has detected that your registry is damaged. Windows will attempt to fix this" and then it prompts me to restart. I do. Then the whole machine crashes. Everytime I restart it, it gets stuck on a blue error screen and then I have to re-install Windows ME all over again. I've done this about seven times. Could my RAM be going out?

Faulty ram is one of the more common causes of the problem. Swapping out or replacing sticks to test is probably best. You can try a software tester, but I would not rely on it as being definitive if no errors are detected.

http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

Install it to a clean floppy and boot it like a startup disk. Let it run for a couple of burnin loops before pressing esc to terminate. There is an Adobe help file that is worth reading as well.

Another cause of this problem is the shutdown process. Some users have found that installing the Windows Ide Hard Drive Cache package (available on the Update Site), has helped.

Also in rare cases, disabling ACPI (a Power Management function) in the BIOS has resulted in a fix

I believe the board uses a VIA chipset, if so, have you installed the VIA 4in1 motherboard drivers?

aerain

Yes, I have installed the 4-in-1 drivers before but I haven't installed it after I installed Windows ME. Should I try that first?

I'd test the ram first, as that is probably the most common cause. The lack of the 4in1 drivers really shouldn't cause the registry problem, but I'm just not ruling it out.

aerain

Thanks, Rollin' Dog.

I have a 256MB stick of RAM and two 128MB sticks. One of my 128MB was damaged apparently. I'm no longer getting that error.

Now, my system is really choppy. I try to drag and drop onto my cd-rw and the computer freezes or I try draging some files on to my zip and it freezes. What could be the problem? Thanks in advance!

Is the 256mb stick in the first slot (it should be)? Try running with just it installed to see if it makes a difference.

If it's not a ram issue, do a ctr-alt-del and end task one at a time everything but Explorer and Systray to see if anything there is causing the choppiness. (McAfee's Alogserv, if you have it, can cause this).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online