1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Me -- get disk error when trying to boot

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jumbodumbo, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jumbodumbo

jumbodumbo Thread Starter

Well, I have seriously hosed this computer. It was running sluggish. Tried scandisk and defrag. Neither could initiate. Tried to system restore to a date when no problems. It got worse. Then, I tried to change the system config to perform a diagnostic startup. The whole thing went kaput. Now, when rebooting, I get a disk error, like there is a disk in the drive, but there isn't and I can't get any further. Cannot get it in safe mode, nothing. I've tried booting from floppy, since it thinks there is one in there anyway--no effect.

Where do I go from here?

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Got a Windows Install CD?

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Access bios setup to be sure the hard drive is still showing there.

4. jumbodumbo

I have a boot disk and can access the set up menu. What should I do now?

5. jumbodumbo

the windows install CD didn't run

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Please see the following printable attachment for more information on Starting From Scratch.

What version of Windows are you using on your computer? What brand of computer are you using?

What version of Windows are you trying to install?

And please describe the exact steps your are taking to use this install CD to install/re-install Windows.

There are several ways to reinstall Windows and those always start with running a updated full virus scan so you're sure your system is virus free well before you begin. Let me know a little more about your system and your needs before you begin.

Attached Files:

7. jumbodumbo

It's a Dell Dimension desktop with Windows Millenium...trying to reinstall with the OEM version of the O/S.

The CD ROM drive runs but cannot get past the disk error. Non-system disk error...hit any key to continue.

I've been trying to install Windows by placing the CD in the drive and restarting the computer.

Thanks for your help.

8. mobo

mobo

Did you check the bios to see if the hard drive is being detected as previously suggested ?

9. ~Candy~

Also, what does the top of the ME cd say? Some OEM cds are NOT bootable.

10. jumbodumbo

While we're at it, what you recommend for anti-virus software?

11. mobo

mobo

That question has been known to start wars..My best answer would be to choose whatever you prefer and keep it updated..

12. Styxx

Styxx Banned

A excelent freebie software is AntiVir (I personally use and update every other day) from http://free-av.com. click the Download button then click the red/black anti-vir icon to start the download. download done double-click the completed download icon to initiate the software install. The auto-updates/scan on these freebies don't work. Update manually.

As to your Windows install CD you merely need to call Dell technical support, armed with your computers serial and model number (or other numbers off the computer), to ask how to use that CD, if the supplied Users Manual doesn't contain the information how-to.

If you boot with a Win98/WinMe Startup disk in the [A] drive, the target OEM Windows CD in the [D] drive and start with CD-ROM support when prompted, with the arrow keys below the Delete key and Enter key - type, E: and press Enter, at the [E] prompt type, setup, and press Enter, your Windows Setup you desire may initiate.

13. jumbodumbo

Thanks for the info. Will try again tonight. Will keep you posted.

14. Styxx

Styxx Banned

read the small change to my above post please. you must switch to a [E] prompt before typing Setup and pressing Enter.

15. ~Candy~

Ah, if you boot with a boot disk, the drive letter will push one letter ahead from where it used to be. Usually, it's not going to be D in any event as with one hard drive and one cdrom, moving one letter ahead would be E: at best ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice