1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows ME Hangs @ Startup

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by RWShaw, Sep 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RWShaw

RWShaw Thread Starter

I'm trying to clean up my daughter's Gateway Solo laptop which is runnning Windows ME. I had planned to upgrade to XP but decided I couldn't recreate the configuration completely so I decided to try and clean it up.

I installed Spybot S&D which found almost 80 problems which it seemed to clean up. I installed Lavasoft AdaWare and it found over 200 problems which it cleaned up most of them. It said I need to reboot and rerun to remove all the problems. I rebooted and the machine never came back.

I've tried booting in safe mode and the same thing.

I've tried booting in step by step mode and it gets to the point of saying it's configuring the files and never comes back.

I'd appreciate any ideas. And no, I don't have the Windows ME cd.

Also, the power connection seems loose and it's hard to get it to stay on but the battery is fully charged so I don't see that as a factor in why it's not booting.

Thanks in advance,

Ray

2. johnni

johnni

This might just work. If (on another machine) you have or can download the data to create a boot floppy disk from, say, http://www.bootdisk.com/ and then start up the laptop with the floppy and hopefully reach an A:\ prompt; then type scanreg /restore (note the space) and when presented with a list of options choose one to restore the registry. One of these restore points is created every time the computer starts so see if you can get back that way. No guarantees!

johnni

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/277166

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice