1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows ME-Mouse Freezes

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Reiben45th, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reiben45th

Reiben45th Thread Starter

I installed windows ME a few days ago, and everyonce an awhile my mouse will just stop working and then i restart it and it wants the active desktop recovery. It will take like 5 restarts before the mouse will start to work again. The keyboard and everything else is working just not the mouse. Whats the deal?

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Not sure if the mouse is the cause or the effect of another problem but try this and see if it makes any difference. I don't have ME but I believe the options are the same as W98. If someone else that has ME reads this and the options are in a different place in ME, please correct me.

Right click on MyComputer and select Properties. Click on the Performance tab and then click on the Graphics tab. Now move the slider one notch to the left and click on OK. Click on OK again and follow the prompts to restart.

If that does no good try right clicking on an empty spot on the desktop, select Properties and then unselect "View as a Web Page" under the Active Desktop options temporarily to see if that's the cause.

Let us know what happens.

3. Kaneohe

Kaneohe

I've heard of compatibility issues concerning WinME and various peripheral devices; specifically, if WinME is running on a machine that is connected to older, non-ME peripheral devices the system may behave strangely. How old is your mouse?

Sorry for being so vague...a friend purchased a new ME machine and had nothing but problems for 3 weeks because his new ME machine was connected to older, non-ME devices (ie, display, printer, cable modem, scanner, etc.). The symptoms my friend experienced were similar: working fine one minute and then suddenly the system would lock up. After spending approx. 8 hours on the phone with Dell tech support, we gave up and returned the machine. He now has a Win98SE machine connected to those same devices and hasn't had any problems....

Perhaps some of the more informed people on this board have also heard of these problems??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice