1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows ME not installing.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by extremelyawesome, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. extremelyawesome

extremelyawesome Thread Starter

I have backed up vista, because it is so slow, and xp install disk don't work, so I have one choice, Windows ME. I get to the Startup menu, i choose start with cdrom support, i use fdisk to partition a 20gb hard drive so i type in y to enable large disk support.
    it formats and then when i type in D:\setup.exe in the command prompt it says windows setup requires at least 1048576 bytes. Can you tell me whats wrong. I tried formating a 500mb partition and then it says the same message.

2. SDFOX 7

SDFOX 7 Banned

Did you reboot the computer AFTER creating the partition and formatting it?

After you create a partition and format it, Windows won't recognize the partition until after you reboot.

Setup is saying that it requires 1048576 bytes to run, which equals 1 megabyte, so I have a feeling it's not recognizing the partition you just created because it can't see it until you reboot.

3. extremelyawesome

extremelyawesome Thread Starter

I rebooted and no luck, I checked that my partition was active, and it was.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You create the partition, then reboot
    You then format the partition.

What does FDisk show for the file System?
    It should show FAT32. If it says UNKNOWN it's not formatted.

Are you booting from the WinME Startup Floppy?
    If so, the CD should be drive E:
    Drive D: will be the RAM drive with the tools.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914775

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice