1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows ME : Outlook Express Email Eaten & MS Word Stuffed

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by oreilly, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oreilly

oreilly Thread Starter

A strange thing happened to my friend's Windows ME box ...

1. Outlook Express refuses to display email messages. We can see the headers,. but the messages appear to be empty. If we hit Ctrl+F2 to show the full message in Notepad, it shows the markup for an empty HTML page instead. But the messages are not empty!. If we use Properties > Details > Message Source to display the whole email, what we see is a complete email as expected. Also we can save the individual messages as type .eml, and although Outlook Express won't display them, a text editor will. These messages do not have viruses. It is happening to all email, incoming and old, in all folders, with or without attachments.

2. MS Word won't save documents. It just will not respond to Ctrl+S, or menu items Save, Save as ... No error messages, no complaints -- just nothing.

My friend is not computer-oriented. She has not fiddled with any system settings. The only recent changes have been a re-subscription to Norton Antivirus 2000 -- email protection is turned off and (at the moment) autoprotection is off as well.

I'm stuck here. I have never used Win ME myself, and have never seen this kind of problem anywhere else. My first guess was registry corruption, but scanregw indicates that there are no problems.

Other people have suggested that Norton AV might be the root cause -- is this possible? When the options which might conflict have been turned off?

Is this scenario familiar to anyone else here?

2. Miz

Miz

According to this MS KB article, the Outlook Express fix may be as simple as dumping the temporary internet files.

For the Word problem, with Word closed, find the file normal.dot and delete it. Can't hurt, might help. It's the generic fix for Word problems. ;)

3. oreilly

oreilly Thread Starter

Well Miz, we shall never know who you are, but we would like you to know that there are at least two people in London UK who are grateful to be sharing the same planet as you. My friend goes a bit further than that ... she declares her undying love for all eternity.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice