1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows ME programs

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by lonesome_wolf2000, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lonesome_wolf2000

lonesome_wolf2000 Thread Starter

NOTE: THIS IS A SECOND WINDOWS ME PROBLEM IN REFERENCE TO MY FIRST PROBLEM. PLEASE SEE THE POST ON WINDOW ME FREEZE FIRST.

Ok, here's my second problem. Another HP, again shipped with ME, has shown up. This one had a similar problem as the first. First of all, it was infected with these 2 viruses:

w32.FunnyFiles.Worm
    w32.Annoying.Worm

I installed Norton Ant-Virus 2002, updated, and then quarantined the infected files. All of them were the virus files themselves so no system files were infected. I followed symantec's removal instructions for the viruses. They should be no problem. This IS the problem:

Everytime you click on Internet Explorer, it takes it 5-10 minutes to load. Sometimes it will eventually load just fine, others it will just be "not responding" (ctrl+alt+del) or just produce a window with no contents. Is this another on going ME problem? is there a patch? update? Should I install another OS? or just reinstall IE?
    Please Post

2. lonesome_wolf2000

lonesome_wolf2000 Thread Starter

Here's the startup entry from msinfo....if that helps

Attached Files:

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Same basic drill for reviewing individual startups, you'll find a few similarities to the other machine:

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

Except this one also has "foist" and "spyware"

Newdotnet

Webhancer

Both of these should be unchecked then removed through Add/Remove programs. Reboot afterwards. And since their presence indicates that they probably came bundled in applications that place other hidden spyware, I would highly recommend installing and running Ad-Aware

http://www.lavasoftusa.net/

Download it and the most current signature file (refllist.zip). Once it is installed, unzip and copy the current signature list to the Ad-Aware folder to overwrite the old one.

Scan all drives on which you have installed programs, memory and deep registry scan. Check all files and entries to be removed, then click "make backup" and Finish. Reboot after removal and do a second scan to ensure completeness.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64871

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice