1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows ME recover from Safe Mode

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by randybhall, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. randybhall

randybhall Thread Starter

I am trying (key word there is "trying") to help a friend out with his pc, running windows ME, the machine appears to be stuck in "safe mode" altho all choices for starting up appear at boot up, normal, step by step, safe mode, the only way it will actually start up is in safe mode. He says it was working OK when he shut it down and when he tried to boot up... "SAFE MODE" only, I did run scan disc, no errors found, I have tried system restore yet when you attempt it, it says NO! can not restore system to this date... pick another restore point, yet no other dates work either. I have EVERYTHING he ever got with the computer, restore CD etc etc. In safe mode his cd drives will not work so I can't install WIn ME again. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can boot off the Windows ME CD and reinstall it that way. Make sure to put the CD as the primary boot device in the BIOS setup.

3. randybhall

The PC won't boot of the CD. It says the CD is unavailable because it is in safe mode.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You boot off the CD before Windows boots, its controlled by the BIOS/CMOS setup.

5. randybhall

You said "Make sure to put the CD as the primary boot device in the BIOS". Can you tell me how to do this?......

Thanks

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    When you first start up your computer you should see a message to enter the Setup/BIOS/CMOS/Configuration and the key to press. Usually its DEL or F2.

In the BIOS use the arrow keys to move around and find the Boot Order, modify it to put the CD as the first boot device. Save and Exit. Then put the Windows ME CD in the drive and restart the computer.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000192.htm

7. screamingmad

screamingmad

I have almost exactly the same problem as above - I can't get out of safe mode, I have Windows ME - but, with two added complications: 1) I have a wireless mouse and keyboard, and I no longer have a curser (I have to tab my way around). 2) (...and this is choice) Dell sent me my desktop, with software loaded, and didn't bother to send me a Windows CD.

How do I get out of safe mode? - with no CD and no curser? Someone please help me.:(

Is it time to call the "Geek Squad"???? (I can't just toss my PC and buy new - as much as I'd like to - I've entered 35 years of family research into this PC, and I don't have copies of some of this data anywhere else. This is the icing on the proverbial cake btw. Otherwise, I'd solve this the old fashion way - with a large hammer. kidding....sort of...):confused:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice