1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows ME restarts instead of shutting down

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by phill0458, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phill0458

phill0458 Thread Starter

I have Windows ME. I recently installed a Linksys LNE 100TX Ethernet card. Since that time, when I try to shut down, the system automatically reboots. I can't shut down without actually pushing the power button.

When I disable the Ethernet card device, the system shuts down properly. But, obviously, I need a better solution so that I can use the card.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Phill
    Welcome to TSG!
    Network card shutdown problems are very common. One of the standard fixes for this is to update the drivers. Go Here and review to make sure it is correct for your system then download proper drive set, then install per its instructions. If that does not fix the problem then it could be your system is shutting down to fast and not allowing the card to disconnect triggering a restart. Try the delay of shutdown items listed in this Site. Since we know what item is causing it you will not have to follow any of the diagnostics parts of the site.

Keep us posted to your progress.

Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice