1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Me Shutdown Problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by anthonyb, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anthonyb

anthonyb Thread Starter

I have an older Windows ME computer. It has just recently started giving me a problem on shutdown.

I click on START > SHUTDOWN and then I get the message on the screen saying
    IT IS NOW SAFE ...

The computer will stay on and that message remains on the screen. It used to just shut down normally, but now I have to either hit the restart button or unplug. Doing either of those two options will cause the message to pop up saying IMPROPER SHUTDOWN and then SCANDISK will automatically run. At times, hitting the restart button does nothing.

It has also started taking longer than usual to boot up. The desktop screen will show up, but I will have an hourglass for a few minutes, before things are ready for use.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks ---

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Maybe something to try...Before you shut down, hit ctl, alt, del and see what's running.
    It might be something interfering with shutdown.
    You could try to close them out one at a time and then shut down..

3. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

4. anthonyb

anthonyb Thread Starter

EKIM & TELECOM --

Thank you for the responses and help.

5. cmgnp

cmgnp

I had similar problems and they were due to yahoo messenger, it seemed it sometimes remained running after i closed it ...it shows when you cntrl /alt /delete

6. anthonyb

anthonyb Thread Starter

cmgnp --

Thanks for the response -- However, the machine in question does not have Yahoo Messenger.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437085

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice