1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows ME Slow Start Up EXE's

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by djjm, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djjm

djjm Thread Starter

Just reading through various posts on Start Up exe.( also refer : ME Locking Up Post )

I have LOTS of checked EXE's in my Start Up and it's a real slow start up process.
    The exe's concerned are generally a weird series of numbers and letters in the NAME section and they're always
    loaded from the REGISTRY ( Machine Run ) and COMMAND C:\PAITBA3M4W.EXE

Can I delete these types of files? and leave myself with the basics?

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

They have the symptoms of a virus/trojan.

Run this online virus check

Download and run SpyBot
    Before doing the first scan, update it's database.
    Then, allow it to remove what it finds.

Then, download, install and run HiJackThis

And, copy/paste the log that it creates, back here for review.

3. djjm

djjm Thread Starter

To cut a long story short..

Yes, we have 2 Downloader.Trojan files with .CPY ( A0131912.CPY and A0131921.CPY ) extensions despite Norton and Zone Alarm Firewall being installed.

We fixed it...we hope..by going into SAFE MODE and sending the offending 2 files to Recycle. The Virus was embedded in the C:\RESTORE\TEMP\..file.

It would not delete in Normal Mode. Norton couldn't fix it..thought we were at a dead end for a while. ( PS. The other HiJackThis programme wouldn't Download fully because Norton blocked it !!..why? ..not sure ?)

The only residual issues are :
    1. Have we REALLY fixed the problem..time will tell I guess ?

2.Hundreds of C:\PAITBA3M4W.EXE files are still showing in C:\RESTORE\TEMP. ( File Size 629 Mb !!! )
    CAN THESE BE SENT TO RECYCLE without affecting the system ??
    2 of these many files were the affected ones but are now GONE !

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

The Restore files belong to System Restore. I'm surprised you were able to delete them in safe mode, because this is really not allowed.

Regardless, these are NOT the ones to worry about. They would only come into play if you actually DID a System Restore.

You need to get HiJackThis downloaded and run. Disable Norton is you have to. Then, post back it's log.
    As well, disabling System Restore, rebooting and re-enabling it should get rid of any viruses in the Restore files.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I agree. Turn off System Restore, reboot, then turn it back on. That should get rid of the files in the _RESTORE folder.

Run a scan with HijackThis 1.99.0, save the log in text format with Notepad, then copy-and-paste the entire contents of it here. Do not start another post.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Do you delete temp files on a regular basis by doing a "search" under

*.TMP

C:\TEMP\*.*

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*

and sending them all to the Recycle Bin? If not, do so.

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. djjm

djjm Thread Starter

Well. here's the up-shot of what we've been doing.

Ran Norton again and NO viruses detected.
    Before proceeding to the HiJackThis procedure we did a TMP file search.

The TMP file situation is unbelievable.
    We searched and found over 50,000 files and about 600 + Mb.
    A typical file would read WK_E165 and in Properties is linked to MGI Photosuite.
    File sizes are 0 bytes and Size on Disk 0 bytes which doesn't make sense. however..in trying to 'select all' and delete to recycle, the computer freezes. I can't select more than 8 - 10 files at a time otherwise the Search programme freezes.

Any suggestions how I can delete these from c:\WINDOWS\TEMP in bigger groups without freezing the system ??
    I've started doing it the LONG way and already lots of Disk Space is being freed up.

7. djjm

djjm Thread Starter

Refer that last POST..we also turned off System Restore as suggested.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    With that many temp files to get rid of, I can see why your computer might freeze up during the process. You may have to delete a small number at one time. Let's try something else though.

Download and install EasyCleaner 2.0.6.380 from here. Once it's installed, click the "Unnecessary" button and place a checkmark in the 1st(Normal types) and 3rd(Temp directories) squares from the top. Run a scan with it. Once the scan is finished, click "Select All" and then "Delete all". Hopefully, it'll delete them all without freezing up like the Windows search option.

Version 2.0.6.380 was just recently released. I've used this utility for over a year in my 98SE and XP SP2 computers, and it works great. (y)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice