1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows ME start up problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Lyrae, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lyrae

Lyrae Thread Starter

Windows ME on Dell Dimension 4100 desktop.

Error message comes up stating:
    Windows An error has occurred. To continue: Press Enter to return to Windows, or press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart your computer. If you do this, you will lose any unsaved information in all open applications.
    File name: SYMEvent(01)+00010932 Error: OE: 0028: C0080476
    Press any key to continue

Pressing Enter, or CTRL+ALT+DEL, or pressing any key have no effect - nothing happens.

I have to press the restart button on the case, then scandisk runs, and finally I get the white ME screen, the blue Dell screen, and then desktop. From that point on everything seems to function well.

Sometimes the computer starts absolutely fine. Am doing a correct shut down.

Last week it would not defrag. The progress window occasionally would jump to 1%, but then it would go back to 0%. Attempted to defrag several times allowing it to run up to an hour. No go. The Details window came up white, the color bands, etc. never appeared. I don't know if not defragging is related to the start up problem.

Your input would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. rugrat

rugrat

Are you running Norton crash guard? If so, what version?

3. 911

You had an error and did what windows calls an improper shutdown (That means you did not click Start > Shutdown, etc.). Sometimes you have no choice and Windows always tries to fun Scandisk at the next startup, to close down any files that got left open, etc.

But Scandisk (and also disk Defragmenter) require that nothing else be running while they are doing their thing. Some programs may not look like they are running, but they keep trying to start up, or update files (changing your hard drive) while Scandisk is trying to check it. You can see them by clicking Ctrl+Alt+Delete (at the same time). You can shut down every program running manually, but it is much easier to use Safe Mode, which prevents them from starting up.

Using Safe Mode:

Reboot your computer and tap your F8 key repeatedly until a black screen with the Windows Startup Menu appears.

Choose option # 3 (Safe Mode) by pressing the 3 on your keyboard or selecting it with your arrow keys.

Press the Enter key to begin booting into Safe Mode. Note, it will take a few moments longer than a regular boot. You are in Safe Mode when Windows displays Safe Mode in all four corners of the desktop and a Safe Mode message appears. (The desktop may be smaller and the mouse will be slow and sluggish.)

Now you can start Scandisk or (Disk Defragmenter). Do not touch your mouse or keyboard while it is running. It will take awhile. Go make a cup of tea or something.

4. Lyrae

Lyrae Thread Starter

rugrat,
    Am not running Norton crash guard.
    The last time I installed a program (Norton Antivirus 2004) was February of 2004. All was well in Muddville until 2-3 months ago when I started getting the Windows error message when trying to start up.
    thanks,

5. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Lyrae, what 911 has said is your next move,defrag in safe mode and report back..

6. Lyrae

Lyrae Thread Starter

I have been shutting down correctly (start, shutdown, shutdown, OK). It's just one time it starts fine, the next I'll get the blue screen with the Windows error message. Some people at work have now told me this is just a sign of why Windows ME is no longer sold nor supported and I may as well consider it a sign of impending death. What do you think?
    Thanks for telling me about starting up in safe mode - I will try that. Am not that computer savvy, I need a trail of breadcrumbs. So here's my dumb questions: 1. Let's say I start it in safe mode and the defrag goes OK. Then what steps do I have to take to get out of safe mode - what do I do?
    2. If I start it in safe mode, then when I go back the next day will it automatically be back at a regular start up, will it still be in safe mode, or will I have to do something? more breadcrumbs, please! <smile>
    Thank you for trying to help me, I really do appreciate it
    Lyrae

7. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1 you will be able to leave safe mode by pressing start button and restart computer.
    2 next time you turn on it should start in normal mode.

8. rugrat

rugrat

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, been out of town.
    symevent is part of Norton. It is the system event manager. Try updating your norton or, if you are currently updated, uninstall it then reboot and reinstall.

Let us know

9. Lyrae

Lyrae Thread Starter

rugrat, 911, and blues harp28,
    THANK YOU all, was able to successfully and painlessly run scan disk, disk cleanup, and disk defrag after putting it in to safe mode.
    Haven't had the Windows message/start up problem, but time will tell on that.
    Rugrat, thanks for clarifying symevent. Funny you should tell me to update Norton. I just renewed & purchased Norton 2005 but so far haven't been able to successfully download it - either my connection drops out or their server doesn't respond. Am going to try one more time & if I can't get it will then ask Symantec to cancel the download and send a CD.
    Instead of three frustrations, am at two: downloading Norton & the Windows message/start up problem issue.
    Thanks again!!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice