1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows ME to Windows 98 SE

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by byanoseau, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. byanoseau

byanoseau Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

Will I be able "upgrade" from Windows ME to Windows 98 SE by installing Windows 98 SE over the top of Windows ME? If so, are there any problems I'm likely to encounter? Thanks.

John

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

You can't upgrade from WinME to Win98 SE because switching from WinME to Win98 SE is a downgrade. You'd have to do several different very technical procedures, either formatting HDD and installing Windows or, partitioning your HDD and installing Win98 on that newly added partition creating a dual-boot system with both operating systems (OS) on board. I'd stay with WinME if you can.

Tell the forum the particulars and maybe we can help you to stay with WinME or, if you want to take the big step, backup all your sensitive data on your computer's hard drive (HDD), format that target HDD and install Win98 SE from scratch.

I'll include a Starting From Scratch tutorial just so you can print it out a see what's involved. It would be a very big step to start all over.

Please state the brand of computer you're using. Most computers come with some sort of Restore /Recover CD(s) that let you put your computer's software back to the way it was new out of the box. Likely, this forum'll resolve your issue in one way or another.

Attached Files:

3. byanoseau

byanoseau Thread Starter

Hi Styxx,

Thanks for the reply, your answer saved me a lot of headaches. I was aware that changing from ME to Win 98 was a "backward" step, but I didn't know of the problems it would cause. Like the man said, "If it aint broke, don't fix it". Thanks again Styxx.

Regards,

John

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221783

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice