1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows ME to Windows 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by lumberguy, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lumberguy

lumberguy Thread Starter

We're trying to go from Windows ME to Windows 98.(ME came on the e machine)

Which Win 98 do we need?

What do we do once we get the right 98?

2. Dan O

Dan O

You should be able to use an Upgrade version as you already own ME. I would get Windows 98SE Upgrade. Because 98 came before ME you cannot really upgrade when you install it. You will have to reinstall all your applications. If you have spare disk space I would install Windows 98SE in the folder WIN98. This will allow you to use both ME and 98. Once you have all your application reinstalled and everything is work then you can delete the WINDOWS folder to remove ME.

3. Matrikx_

Matrikx_

If you are simply wanting to install 98 and do away with ME and you are having trouble doing so keep in mind that when you install a OS you need to do so at a dos prompt. In order to get to a dos prompt using ME youll need to have a boot disk in when you first turn your PC on. It will give you a dos prompt. From there youll need to format ME off of your hard drive the install 98 from the dos prompt. Good Luck. Please post again and tell us how it goes.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62357

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice