1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows ME VFAT Errors

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by denco, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denco

denco Thread Starter

When things go wrong over here, they go wrong in a BIG way. My PC is having an identity crisis, and I need advice before I have one too. My OS is Windows ME, and I use Firefox 2.0 and ZoneAlarm Security Suite 6.0.

I've suddenly started getting VFAT errors and the blue screen of death. They can happen at any time - there doesn't seem to be any one thing that triggers the error. This is the usual error: VFAT(01) + 00003FF3 Error: 0E: 0028: C0043A53. If I press a key I get: Error: 0D: 0246: 019747FB. These errors can happen if I click on a desktop icon, change tabs in FireFox, or just hold my mouth wrong. But it gets worse: My desktop icons such as System, Trash, etc. have been replaced with system folder-type icons. I'm showing hidden folders but shelliconcache appears to be missing.

There is still more. I have an external hard drive that contains 3 years of data, and it suddeny shows that nothing is there, but I can usually access it. When I ran scandisk, a box popped up that said that drive appears to be missing. From what I have found so far, I want to think this is a ZoneAlarm problem, but those "nice" people won't even talk to me because I have Windows ME.

At this point I will try anything. The missing data on the external hard drive is my primary concern. Thanks in advance for any ideas you can throw my way.

:confused:

2. denco

denco Thread Starter

Ok, I have finally found one thing that will always causes the VFAT error. Dragging anything from the desktop to the trash bin will do it. The system icons on the desktop are still the odd system folder-type icons. Hope this helps a little.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540239

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice