1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Media 9

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by frenat, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frenat

frenat Thread Starter

I am running win98SE and recently tried windows media 9. I am glad that I cloned the system beforehand so I could return to what I had before. Everything worked fine and in some cases better than before with respect to online video but I had a problem with MP3 files.
    The files would play fine, no problem there. The problem was I noticed the date modified on the MP3 files was being updated after being played. A player should never have to modify mp3 files. It was not just the file being played either. For every file played, 3 to 7 others would be affected and show a new date and time modified. I don't know how they are modified but needless to say I was not happy about it. I immediately suspected a virus but a scan of my entire system yielded nothing. The modified times are the exact times that mp3 files were played. Has anyone else seen this? How and why is it modifying these files? I restored the clone so I am back to my previous version of media player but the mp3s are on a different drive that was not cloned.

2. kramnnim

kramnnim

Well, WMP9 does have some sort of option that "Updates music files by retrieving missing media information from the Internet" Look in the options, in the media library tab. I suppse it edits the ID3 tags.

Personally I've very happy with WMP9...

3. frenat

frenat Thread Starter

I installed it again to check. I definitely had it unchecked this time and now have 15 more mp3 files that have a new modified time. So the question remains, what is it modifying, and why? I just read on that same tab a hyperlink to a help file about the changes made but again the box was not checked. I don't want it to be. Incidentally, there is another check box on the privacy tab that says the same thing. If you check one then they are both checked. Part of the reason I am not happy about this is I knew when these files where created. I knew the order they would be in if sorted by date and I used that to find certain songs. Now thanks to Microsoft, that is no longer possible.
    I also wonder if the modifications may have something to do with copy protection. That was my first thought when I noticed it happening and realized what program was doing it. Most of these files are from my own CDs and even if they weren't, Microsoft should not be policing programs or files on my computer that are not Microsoft property

4. kramnnim

kramnnim

Very strange. None of my mp3's have been modified that I can tell...I'm using the XP version of WMP9, maybe there's some difference. I even have the autoupdate thing enabled...

I don't think it's copy protection, anyhow...especially since they are mp3's and not .wma's.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice