1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Media Center Question

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by retired96, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. retired96

retired96 Thread Starter

I just purchased a Dell Pentium 4 machine with XP MediaCenter. I can copy tv programs to my hard drive but, I can't seem to find a way to make a DVD of the tv program. Can it be done?

2. CarrollM

CarrollM

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

By default Windows Media Center does not include the capability to burn to DVD to be played by a stand-alone DVD player due to the use of the MS-DVR file format media center uses. There are several third party applications that contain this ability.

One of the DVD burning suites that support the MS-DVR formats is Nero Burning Rom, but I believe it's only included in their ultra and premium packages. With Nero, you can use nero's Recode to convert the movie to standard DVD format.

If your not using a burning app that can handle MS-DVR, then you need to convert the file to a format that your burning application can use. Retail media centers ship with a version of Sonic Encoders for this purpose, but if you are missing this application, you can use Dcut, http://www.inseattle.org/~dan/Dcut.htm (accessed through "more programs" in your media center to convert the show to WMF, and then re-encode with your burning application. I know it's a pain, and I've no idea why microsoft decided to make it so difficult.

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Form the well known MCE forum The Green Button:
    http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=41&MessageID=87204&TopicPage=2

Posted by Ghostlobster

5. retired96

retired96 Thread Starter

After 40 minutes of holding on I got a Dell Media Center tech. He showed me how to do it in Windows MCE. You record it to your hd. Then go to recorded files, right click on the title of what you want to make a DVD and that's it. I tried it with 13 mins. of a tv movie I recorded and though painfully slow it copied the movie to a DVD RW disk and I played it a DVD player attached to my stereo. A 2 hour movie would probably take all night to copy.
    Thanks for your response

6. CarrollM

CarrollM

I find calling the regular Dell support a pain and hard to understand. My best questions were answered by e-mail as I could understand them. At 83 my hearing is not !00% and my brain has also slowed down a bit. But I would appreciate it if you could tell me how you contacted a Media Center Tech. Could you e-mail me the data. I have recorded many 2 hr shows from TV but this is a max. and takes about that long to burn. I have double layer recording capability but not sure if that will work with the Media Center.

Carrollm
    [email protected]

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430302