1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Media Center TV Guide won't download

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Woodysgood, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Woodysgood

Woodysgood Thread Starter

After having read many online responses, (including Microsofts useless tech rhetoric), I am convinced that only a myracle can salvage my ability to, once again, download the Microsoft Vista Windows Media Center's Guide. I have a solid internet connection that just won't connect and collect ANY Media Center download. From what I have read online, my situation is but one of thousands where the Media Center simply quit working one day. I receive an error message titled "Code 13". I have tried everything to resolve this issue short of buying port forwarding software or formatting and reinstalling my OS. I am beginning to think that Microsoft wants to forcibly upgrade me to 7 from my current lemon of an OS... Vista. PLEASE! No copy/paste reprints of any current online fixes. None of these work. Nothing short of a myracle will.

Thanks, Don

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3070 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 465602 MB, Free - 326335 MB; D: Total - 11334 MB, Free - 3243 MB; J: Total - 381551 MB, Free - 362068 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., Berkeley
    Antivirus: Webroot SecureAnywhere, Updated and Enabled

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Go to C:\Windows\ehome.
    C:\ would be your windows drive.
    Doubleclick the mcupdate.exe program.
    Wait and see if the media center icon pops up in the taskbar
    notification area.
    If it does,try downloading the guide again.
    If that works for you,you may have a corrupted or misconfigured
    task in task scheduler.
    You would need to check it at
    Control Panel\Administrative Tools\task scheduler.
    Expand Task scheduler library\microsoft\windows and click on media center.
    Double click the mcupdate task to open it.
    On the settings tab run on demand should be selected.
    Might check the settings on the other tabs also.

3. Woodysgood

Woodysgood Thread Starter

I took your advice, (which I hadn't seen before), and went to the task scheduler. I received the small pop up that said something like the image is corrupted or has been tampered with. I proceeded as you suggested and found greyed out screens in the task scheduler. Then Goggled task scheduler this and that and found remedies listed but not useful. Bottom line is I was seeing other problems with this Vista system so I saved files to my E: drive and re installed the OS on C:. After downloading 102 Vista updates and reinstalling a few drivers everything works once again. I do, once again, thank you for your time to try and help me. I wish you lived next door because I always have a need of some kind for your expert advice. My next computer will be a Mac!

Don

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

These sites are more specific to media center PC's.
    Might check them out also.
    http://thegreenbutton.tv/forums/
    http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/87.aspx?Sort=Active&PageIndex=1
    Vista is a pain to configure for TV in media center.
    Windows 7 is much better at it and I have figured out
    how to change the background pictures so media center
    matches my desktop background.
    Everything matches and looks nice.
    However,changing media center like that takes hacking into
    a DLL file.
    Not really for novices.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice