1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Media Encoder doesn't work at home, does at work

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by pixelsurge, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pixelsurge

pixelsurge Thread Starter

I cannot get Windows Media Encoder 9 to work at all at home, but I have no problems with it at work, so I know I'm not trying to do something with it that it can't handle.

At home, every time I try to convert either an AVI or a VOB to WMV, either using the wizard or the custom settings, it lets me get through it all and then, when it starts trying to encode, it throws up the message:
    "Windows Media Encoder has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. ..."

It never gives me any more information than this, just crashes and closes. I've tried repairing it through the control panel, as well as completely uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but it hasn't helped.

At home I'm running Windows XP Media Center. At work, where I've never had it crash, I'm running Windows XP Professional. Is there something in Media Center that causes it to crash? Is there any patch I can download or thing I can do to get it to work on my home computer?

Thanks for your help.

2. nekolux

nekolux

I'm currently having the same problem . I open the .vob file set the output folder , settings etc etc . just as it was about to start converting , WME just stops and crashes . I use windows xp home edition so if your company's xp professional can make it work im thinking it is something in the professional edition which allows it to work not something in our edition that doesnt allow it to work. Are there any alternatives for encoding a video? i dont have much cash right now so i was hoping i might find some freeware alternatives . thanks

3. pixelsurge

pixelsurge Thread Starter

Can anyone confirm that Windows Media Encoder just doesn't work on Windows XP Media Center? I find that hard to believe that it wouldn't work at all on one of their current operating systems. Have some bugs, sure, but not work at all?

Is anyone using WME on Media Center successfully?

Thanks,
    Zoe

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/582955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice