1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Media Player 10 Library

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by 4plus2, Sep 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 4plus2

4plus2 Thread Starter

Hello,

Im just new to using Windows Media Player 10 and am having trouble creating the Library.
    I have a nice neat folder structure with folders for Artists and subfolders for album names and want to just read this into Windows Media Player 10 but it keeps bringing in stuff Ive already fixed using the file explorer. Why? How do I delete the libaray or recreate it from scratch?

Thanks in advance.

2. 4plus2

4plus2 Thread Starter

I see now that Media Player does not look at the name of the folders but at the properties of each file. So I have to ensure that the Artist and Album properties correctly reflect the folder and parent folder names respectively. Just have to work out now apply the detail columns shown to all subfolders, cant get this bit working. Any ideas?

3. stantley

stantley

The easiest way to do that is to select all songs, right-click and hit delete (Make sure it says 'Delete from library only'). The easiest way to add files back in is to select all the folders you want to add in windows explorer, then drag-and-drop them into the library.

To verify the tag data is correct, select a song, right-click and hit 'find album info' which will do a lookup via the internet and will update the basic tag info.

Another way to manipulate tag data is to get a tag editor. Try Mp3 Tag Studio, Media Tagger or Mp3tag (all freeware).

4. 4plus2

4plus2 Thread Starter

Thanks stantley, I will check out those apps.
    I used audiograbber to rip our CDs but unfortunity I didnt know about the "freeb" button so all our track names are just Artist-Album-Track# rather than whats on the album cover.
    Dont guess there is anyway to correct these track names is there. Do I have to Re-rip?

5. stantley

stantley

You should able to use WMP with the 'find album info' function to fix up the tag data. You can then use a tag editor to create filenames that conform to whatever naming convention you want to use.

6. 4plus2

4plus2 Thread Starter

Thanks stantly, I tried that but its too hard. Im just going to re-rip all of our CDs again as I realised too that I needed the LAME MP3 encoder to get a better sound.
    I will also check out those tag editors.

7. 4plus2

4plus2 Thread Starter

Im using MediaMonkey now, does everything that the big apps do but is easier to use.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/499853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice