1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows media Player 10 not on Add/Remove Programs list.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tony Burke, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tony Burke

Tony Burke Thread Starter

I have Windows XP Home /SP2.
    I recently rolled back from Windows Media Player 11 to 10.
    Media Player 10 seems to be working OK but does not appear on Add/Remove Programs list – even under XP Updates. Anyone know why this is or how to get it to show?

2. stantley

stantley

That's normal. It should show up in 'Add/Remove Windows Components'. As long as WMP 10 is working, you're OK.

3. Tony Burke

Thanks - It does indeed show in 'Windows Components'.
    Good to get quick clear advice from a 'senior member'.
    You wouldn't believe the complex replies I got from some other forums !! - then again maybe you would !! Thanks again

4. Tony Burke

PS to my previous message - some of the replies I received from other forums have raised a doubt in my mind as they seem to suggest that Windows Media Player (which does appear in the 'Add/Remove Windows Components' panel) should also appear on the main 'Change or Remove Programs' panel - (some have suggested under 'XP Updates'). Some of these replies have blinded me with science (or pseudo-science) about Registry changes etc. etc.
    I suppose I should just ignore them and carry on with Windows Media Player working OK?

5. stantley

stantley

When I got my computer it had Windows XP with WMP 9, so at some point I updated to WMP 10 and in Add/Remove Programs with 'Show Updates' checked WMP 10 shows up under 'Windows XP - Software Updates'.

But I don't think it shows up if XP came bundled with WMP 10 when it was installed.

6. Moby

Moby

No it doesn't show. As Stantley suggests only the upgrades show so you can go back. You can make it show via a registry change but I wouldn't go there if you are keeping it and it works fine.

Edit.
    The 'show' I was refering are just a few more options in the windows components section, not a full show in the main add/remove programmes window. I just checked mine. It's been a while ;)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice