1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Media Player 11 and .AVI and quartz.dll

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by reidypea, Feb 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reidypea

reidypea Thread Starter

Well I just got the newest version of wmp, and it doesn't want to play .avi files, and i get an error message every time i try to load one--- "AppName: wmplayer.exe AppVer: 11.0.5721.5145 ModName: quartz.dll
    ModVer: 6.5.2600.2180 Offset: 00096571
    " and also, when avi files off the internet load, my firefox has to close down because of this.

I have tried finding information about this all morning off google, and really have had no luck.

Help would be much appreciated, thanks!

2. steve44060

steve44060

Please let me know if you get an answer..Im having the same problem and its driving me [email protected]

3. phaze112

phaze112

I am having this same problem :(

admin at chcompsol dot com

in case anyone finds or knows why this is happening ;(

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Try unregistering then reregistering quartz.dll:

regsvr32 /u quartz.dll
    regsvr32 quartz.dll

5. phaze112

phaze112

6. WooWooLovesBoo

WooWooLovesBoo

I've tried re-registering quartz.dll using Command Prompt (DOS), and I have tried replacing it with the version suggested from the website to download. I've restarted a few times in between.

Anyone have any suggestions?

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Do you have anything like Nero which might have taken over the file associations? That's the only other thing I can say I've seen cause a problem. It required uninstalling Nero and making sure on the reinstall that only those file associations for programs it owns are allowed it. And of course ensuring WMP is the default for all its supported associations.

8. WooWooLovesBoo

WooWooLovesBoo

I don't have Nero but I do have PowerDVD. I don't think that is the cause of the problem, however.

I checked and WMP11 is set as the default for .avi files. Should I provide specs?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/545183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice