1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows media player 11 library gone... again?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by jtan343, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtan343

jtan343 Thread Starter

Hi,

I am having trouble with Windows Media Player 11 on WinXP Pro.

This was addressed in an older thread, but I had a very similar problem, and am still struggling to recover. I started having difficulty when ripping new CDs. They would constantly come up under "Unknown Album" if they were available at all. Shortly after that, my entire library disappeared. Fortunately, the underlying .WMA files are still there.

I attempted to reinstall WMP11 at least twice, and then happened upon a potential fix at the MS Knowledge Base... as well as on this forum:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925718

I did this, and re-loaded my library with some success. But the entire library - thousands of songs - is still coming up under "Unknown Album." If I look at any given song, and do a "Find Album Info" it goes out and updates all the information, but doing that for 5000 individual files would be... problematic.

Is there a setting that I am missing that would automatically update all the album information as I load the library?

ED: I should note that my .WMA files are stored on a 500GB Maxtor External HDD. Don't know if this makes a difference.

2. jtan343

jtan343 Thread Starter

The problem I am having is on my notebook computer. I have a desktop computer on the same network which has a copy of the library on its D: drive. That WMP11 library works just fine.

On the notebook computer, I attempted to run Tools >> Apply Media Information Changes. No response. The status window which pops up tells me that there is no response from the server, and that it is retrying.

On my desktop, again, on the same network, the same series of commands results in progress in this "Apply Changes" status window, and after a few minutes it says it's complete. I don't see that any changes were made, but I didn't look extensively.

What server is "Apply Media Information Changes" looking for, and why can't my notebook computer find it?

(BTW: Wrote this post on said Notebook, so yes, its internet connection seems to be working...)

3. jtan343

jtan343 Thread Starter

Since I have one computer that works, and one that doesn't, is it possible to copy the configuration from the good setup over to the other, getting them both working the same?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/775387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice