1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows media player 11 library gone?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Jbagel2, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jbagel2

Jbagel2 Thread Starter

I know there is another thread just like this one. but it is listed as solved, and it is not solved. my library dissapered?? and it wont let me add anything to my library????? i go into manage folders and add folders that contain my music and click ok.....:confused: ...... nothing happens. not only that but it wont find my mp3 player anymore. it just says connect device, even though my device is connected. the other threads last post was saying something about the problem being from URGE, well i don't have that installed. so i would love a little more help if anyone has any ideas.:mad:

2. Sponsor

3. scotteedog

scotteedog

Same!!! I'm having the same problem, and I also don't know why the other thread says solved?? (I don't have/never had URGE).

I also can't add or see anything in my library, that once had thousands of songs! It is very frustrating/annoying!

I try adding folders for it to monitor but once I click the OK button to get WMP to search for and add files to my library, nothing happens, and when you look back at the list of "monitored" folders, it is empty again!

The only thing I can think of that may have caused it is the installation of Pinnacle's PCTV TV Centre software (to watch TV on my laptop). I upgraded it a few days ago and my library hasn't been the same since.

If anyone can help at all it would be much appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Scott! :-D

4. tony_montana

tony_montana

re install windows media player

5. Carrotglace

Carrotglace

I've reinstalled twice.

Anytime I try to add to my empty library, it does absolutely nothing. Going back to the Add files option just gives me another blank menu, as if it's forgotten I've even attempted to add anything, or I get 'Windows Media Player has encountered a problem, and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.'
    It does the same thing if I try to sync a device such as an MP3 player, or connect my PS3 or Xbox360.
    Today I got a new one with it.
    Diwatson Postmorten Debugger has encountered a problem and needs to close. Etc, etc...
    It worked fine until the last update.
    I'm running XP, and my PC isn't top of the line, but it is less than a year and a half old.

All my media is still there, I can run it with Winamp.

I can manually drag and drop files into the playlist, and they will play. After I shut down WMP it forgets they exist though. WMP seems to have become incapable of holding any information, or interacting with any outside source. I'd love to use it, I like it more than Winamp, but this is just frustrating, and it's screwed up my media network in a major way. I'm a little more than upset over it, and I can't fix it.

6. Carrotglace

Carrotglace

Solved.

This is pretty simple to do. You're going to have to rebuild your library though. It's a corruption of some sort in your media files folder.

Follow this path:

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\ "

Copy and paste into the address bar if you like, you'll be inside the folder you need to find. 'Media Player' Delete it, and replace it with the another folder with the same name.

This should fix the problem.

For those of you out there using media sharing, you may need to follow another step here, as there's a file you can't delete while media sharing is running.

Goto Start menu -> Run: Type in "services.msc" without quotes.

Find the service called "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Serivce", Right-Click on it so it says 'Stopped'. Now go back to the Media Player folder and delete it.

Now go back to WMP, and you should be able to put your music and video files back in. Unless you've got playlist files elsewhere, you'll probably have to remake them from scratch, but at least WMP will work again.

7. lewis54uk

lewis54uk

Hi, i tried finding that folder couldnt see it anywhere! help please!:)

8. Carrotglace

Carrotglace

Just open any folder on your PC, and cut and paste this line into the address bar at the top just like you would with a web address if you were on-line:

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\ "

It should put you inside the folder you need to find. [This is assuming you haven't deleted it, or installed it elsewhere. If that's the case, you'll have to find it for yourself I'm afraid. This is where the installer will put the folder on it's own.]

Back out of the folder, [Use the green arrow pointing up on top of a folder next to the forward and back buttons on your taskbar -once- to do this.] delete the folder titled 'Media Player', and then make a new folder titled 'Media Player' to replace it.

[Left click the mouse inside the window and it one of the options will be 'new folder'. Click on it, and then type 'Media Player' while it's still blue. Then hit enter, and you're done.]

After you do this, go to Windows Media Player, click on Library, and Add Music just like before.

Media player should work the way it should after you do this.

If you're running media sharing, you'll have to follow the instructions on the second half of the post and turn it off in order to delete all of the Media Player folder. [The PC will give you error messages saying the file is in use and can't be deleted otherwise.]

If not, then you should be fine.

That's about as much as I can simplify the instructions. Good luck.

9. lucumo21

lucumo21

I had same issue (can;t add to library) and it was driving me crazy!!

I'm using vista so the media player directory was in a different location...

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player

delete this "media player" folder altogther, then restart media player and bang the library search will now work!!

good luck

10. naj

naj It's My Birthday!

hey iem new to this forum...
    iam having the exact problem .... and i've tried all the things mentioned above ...
    it doesn't add songs...
    please help

11. jeanzlr

jeanzlr

Thanks a LOT!!!
    It worked for me!! :) :)
    im using XP pro.

12. Machuca

Machuca

Well It looks like i have exactly the same problem. I Try to add my music to my windows media player from a folder in that folder i have 783 songs but wmp only recognizes 223 songs and only add those i even reboted my hard drive and instaled Xp. and to see if that fixed the problem but it did nothing i still have the same problem i have tried almost everything... but if any one can help me give me a hand :p thanks. I did not have urge and now i installed it and its the same thing with it or without it.

13. anamandy

anamandy

I'm having the same exact problem with Music Match. Can't seem to find the file. Anyone with any info on how to recover this large file would be appreciated.

14. aob9

aob9

I'm having the same problem with WM11 but only with the music part of my library. Video's and pictures are registered with no problem. But, no matter how many times I try to rebuild, following the instructions here, my music library fails to register fully.WM sees approx. 3000 MP3 files but only registers 768 every time. I hate the fact that there is very little manual control over WM11's library. I may have to ditch for Realplayer which doesn't give any such trouble......or Sony's Sonic Stage, also works fine with my music files.

15. anamandy

anamandy

Jbagel2, I solved my problem by delteting Music Match and using real player instead. I was able to import music from 'my music files' right into real player. Real player is really cool too.

16. tftxw5

tftxw5

have the same problem and I have tried every solution there is on the web and must say that I have had some success with rollbacks and restorepoints and reinstalls. Note that I have limited success but it only has been temporary. After a few days the library disapears again and the folder monitier will ot hold a folder for searching purposes. I have come to the conclusion that the problem is not due to any ones individual computer but the microsoft soft ware itself so rollbacks and reininstalls are at best just a bandade on the problem. One solution I do have is to create another user on your computer and add your music files to the other user.........I feel however that at some point the new user will have that library disapear as well...............it is unfortunate that Microsoft for know is silent on the issue (unless anyone has heard otherwise..............I find that the album cover function to be good as my 5 year old uses the pictures to browes and explore music and now it is much more difficult for him.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/565539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice