1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Media Player 11 Library Help

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Fraptor01, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fraptor01

Fraptor01 Thread Starter

Hi, I am having trouble with Windows Media Player 11. When WMP 11 opens, my Library including video and music are totally missing, as well as the playlists. It says “There are no items in this library yet - the Player is searching for digital media files in the background. Click Here to add files to the library now.” I click on this link and nothing happens. I still have all my music in the My Music Folder and I can play them, but they don’t add on to the library while they play. Most of my files are WMA and some are MP3 and always works with out a problem. I have done my own troubleshooting, first, I cleared the WMP Database, no effect, then I dragged and dropped all my music files in to WMP but this also had no effect. Then I reinstalled WMP 11 from the Microsoft website. I still can’t play music from the library and must go through the My Music Folder. This started to happen about 3 weeks ago. I hate it when things don't work! Please Help!

2. Fraptor01

Fraptor01 Thread Starter

Come on! Someone must know this!

3. Broly

Broly

So can u launch any music files from WMP? Can you launch music files from my computer?

4. Hughv

Hughv

In Options/Library, make sure WMP is monitoring the correct folders.

5. Fraptor01

Fraptor01 Thread Starter

Broly, I can not lanch any music from WMP, however, I can go to My music and launch any media file from there, its just annoying to do so.
    Hughv, WMP is monitoring folders in My Music.
    I have been active on a Microsoft Newsgroup on this matter and been told to rename the WMP Database, within the Microsoft Folder, however I get an Access Denied Error, meanwhile all instances of WMP is off in the Task Manager...
    So far after about 6 posts on the MS Newsgroup with a "silver" WMP support Member and a MS Moderator, I seem to have them baffled... Has any one had the problem??

Mr. Dale Preston on the MS Newsgroup recommended this from his Web Log, http://www.dalepreston.com/Blog/2007/03/windows-media-player-metadata-backup.html Scroll down to Rebuilding your Windows Media Player library database

6. svorax

svorax

...i think theres a library search u can perform. i can't remember how to pull it up though... i think u hav to right click the library tab.

7. Fraptor01

Fraptor01 Thread Starter

Thanks for the all the replies I have solved my problem with the help of some MS dudes down at Microsoft's Windows XP Newsgroup. Specifically Mr. Dale Preston and Zachd [MSFT]. The culprit was a corrupt database in the Microsoft > Media Player Folder of my machine. If any one has a similar problem here is how you fix it:
    1. First find the Microsoft Folder on your Machine, it varies from brand to brand and is different on each computer. On my Gateway for example it’s under C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-A846B26098\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft
    2. Now find the Media Player Folder
    3. Next Open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del)
    4. Click on the Processes Tab
    5. End anything with the letters wmp in it such as wmpnetwk.exe and wmpscfg.exe by clicking on it and then End Process
    6. Now rename the folder named Media Player, I named it Media Player new.
    7. You only have a few seconds until the .exe's turns back on, so be quick it took me 3 tries
    8. You’re Done!
    This voids the old WMP Database and tells WMP11 to rebuild a new one. Just start WMP and wait as it finds all of you music.

Thanks Again I will return with any PC Problems! ;)
    Happy New Year! Later.

8. Glo151

Glo151

Fraptor, Thank you SOOOOOO much for posting this info after solving your problem. Your thoughtfulness has probably saved me hours of headaches. I've been struggling w/ this same issue for weeks and had all but abandoned hope of using WMP11 again. My WMP Library is rebuilding as I type this and I couldn't be happier - thanks a million. I'll be sure to turn to this forum for any future tech issues, off to a great start so far...

9. Fraptor01

Fraptor01 Thread Starter

Glo, No Problem Dude!

10. mlong83

mlong83

Fraptor, I've recently started experiencing the same issue that I believe that you had. Same symptoms, same problems restoring/rebuilding the database. I tried your solution last night, and thought I hit jackpot as it looked as though my library was being re-built (the first few files about 100 of 8000) successfully went into my database only for the import to stop.

Regarding the fix that you recommended. What operating system as you using? It's just I cannot see any other processes in task manager which are to do with WMP. Also did you have to prompt WMP to import your files? I did when I thought that it had worked, so perhaps it hadn't after all.

Thanks in advance for any help.

(Frustrated) Matt

11. yufeizhou

yufeizhou

thank you so much! Do you have any idea what might cause this problem? I dont want it to reoccur ever again.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/664226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice