Windows Media Player 9 uninstall

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

blackroseMD1

I upgraded to Windows Media Player 9 and now I can't use my Launchcast, so I want to rollback to my previous installation, but I am running XP Home Edition and cant seem to find a way to uninstall WMP9. I've tried downloading and installing WMP 7.1 but it won't install. Any suggestions?

Try this

go to Start | Run
Copy in the following:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\WINNT\INF\wmp.inf,Uninstall

If that doesn't work, change WINNT to Windows

You will need to re-install Windows Media Player 8 from your XP disk

blackroseMD1

OK, I did that, and it said rollback was complete, but after I reinstalled media player from my WinXP installation disc and attempted to run it it said "Windows Media Player is not installed correctly and must be reinstalled. Would you like to install the player from the Microsoft website?" I clicked no, because I don't want WMP9. My XP install disc OEM from Dell, could that be the problem?

These recovery disks should be banned!!:rolleyes:

Try this:
Place your recovery disk in the drive

Go to Start | Run

Copy the following:

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection InstallWMP64 132 c:\windows\inf\mplayer2.inf
point it to D: drive (if D: is your CD drive)

Press OK

Now go back to Start | Run

Copy in the Following:

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection InstallWMP7 132 c:\windows\inf\wmp.inf
again point it to D: drive (if D: is your CD drive)

Restart your computer

If that fails try installing Windows Media Player 7 again

blackroseMD1

OK, I tried all that and nothing worked...:( Can I use the install disc and do a repair? If so, what command do I type in at the prompt to repair the program?

Have you tried a system restore?

If I remember rightly the dell disk basically formats the hard drive and starts again, which would mean you would lose all your data and updates

blackroseMD1

Yeah, unfortunantly wehn I reainstalled Windows I was having a lot of problems with it, so a system restore wouldn't do any good. I finally fixed it by booting from the XP CD and doing a repair, which overlayed WMP9 with WMP8. Thanks for all the help.

I just experienced the same problem that you did and I fixed it by navigating to c:\program files\window media player\installer and I clicked on the installer and it reinstalled windows media player 9. Now it works. I tried to reinstall wm9 off the website and it didn't work for me either.

When you installed wm9 didn't it tell you that it cannot be uninstalled unless you use system restore? You may be stuck with wm9 unless you format your hard drive.

I hope that this helps.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online