1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Media Player all songs breakup exact same spot 10-15 secs from end

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by GEOFF, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

I have Windows Vista Home Premium on a six month old Dell Notebook fairly well upgraded. All works well, but Windows Media Player does the strangest thing. When a song plays it skips or breaks up for a second or two in exactly the same spot with about 10 to 15 seconds to go in the song. And it does it song after song in exactly the same place....about 10 or 15 seconds from the end of the song.

I have tried emptying the music folder and restoring the songs. I turned off my spyware and virus programs. These same songs will play fine in Limewire library and playlists.

When the breakup starts I notice the CPU meter jumps from about 7% to 40 or 45% quickly. Is something interferring and if so what or is it the Media Player. Seems strange it is always in the exact same spot.
    G

2. Sponsor

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Are there any other problems being noted such as increased time to boot or open programs?

If so, you condition might be explained by a degraded IDE controller and fixed by downloading and running the .vbs script file available here >>

http://winhlp.com/node/10

4. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

Roxio creator and Limewire played the songs fine, however I did notice programs a tad slower to open and scrolling through Excel files the symbols opening a little later.

I'm using it mostly to play songs and making playlists.
    This problem seems to have developed sometime in the last month as it was about a month ago that I started using Media Player and in the beginning it worked fine.

Is there any risk to downloading and running the .vbs script file in case that is not the cause of the problem, though I think you may be right? If not, then I will give it a try.

Also, I read through the link you gave me and this caught my eye as I have a Dell Notebook Inspiron 6400, but this may not be relevant.

"However, there are a few reasons why a computer may use PIO instead of DMA, particularly when it's the hard disk port that falls back, not a CD/DVD drive port. For example, David Duberman reported in 2005 that some Dell computers have DMA disabled in their BIOS by default for the second hard disk. So it is a good idea to check the BIOS settings first."

thanks for your help Rollin' Rog
    G

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I have never encountered any problem with it, make sure you right click on the download url and select "save target as" to ensure it does not try to open in a text or edit window.

When you run it it may be intercepted by a script blocker -- give it permission.

If it resets anything, probably a good idea to reboot afterwards, though I don't know for sure if this is really necessary.

If you want to check manually before running this script, do this >>

open the Device Manager (run devmgmt.msc) and select the entry for IDE ATA/Atapi and select the Primary IDE > Advanced Settings, does it say the "current transfer mode" is Ultra DMA or PIO?

If it says PIO or even just DMA (rather than “ULTRA” DMA, first ensure "Use DMA if Available” is selected, then select the driver tab and uninstall the driver and reboot. Then check again.

>> the instructions above for uninstalling the driver is just another method of getting it to reset. You can do that if you want.

6. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

I did a manual check with device manager.

ATA Channel 0 and ATA Channel 1 both show ULTRA DMA mode 5 and ULTRA DMA mode 0 respectively....not sure which one is primary. Regardless, as they both show ULTRA DMA should I still go ahead and reset them? Could this still be the problem?

And should I reset them manually by uninstalling the driver and rebooting?
    And should I do them one at a time as I am not sure which is the primary one.

G

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Look at the one that shows Ultra DMA mode 0 -- you should be able to tell what drive is on it.

Typically an optical drive will be ULTRA DMA 2 or 4 -- and hard drives Ultra DMA 5 or 6.

It won't hurt to try the reset regardless though;

8. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

Could not tell which driver was which so I ran the script file you linked me to and when it finished I got this message:
    "No resettable ATA Channels with Windows Drivers found. Nothing changed.

G

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Are all these songs of the same media type, eg: .mp3 or .wav? Howabout songs played from an audio-cd (.cda)?

And are they all being played from the same drive? If you copy something to a USB flash drive and play it from there -- same problem?

>> Have you installed any 3rd party codecs prior to this beginning?

Not sure what to look for, but post a HijackThis scanlog >>

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5554.html

>> Open up the Task Manager and select Performance.

What percent of physical memory is in usage when this happens?

10. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

Files are all mp3.
    I played a store bought cd and it played fine. I played the first music cd I burned about a month ago and it was fine.
    I inserted my flash drive and played the tunes backed up on it without problem.

Seems only the mps files in my Music folder give me problems.

I have not installed any 3rd party codecs intentionally or that I am aware of..

By the way I did read somewhere about a possible conflict between media player and Roxio creater which I have, but I have looked at Roxio and played a couple of tunes, but not really used it.

physical memory shows 2025, cached 1216, free 245. Not sure where to see the Commit Charge, but under Kernal Memory, total, paged 73, nopaged 72. In the bottom right corner shows Physical Memory 48%.

By the way stumbled on this link.......any use?
    http://www.faster-pc.net/lp/?gclid=CMG1oaq-kpACFRpdagodSVuoAA

Here is the hijack log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 8:56:10 PM, on 05/12/2007
    Platform: Windows Vista (WinNT 6.00.1904)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16546)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
    C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\Volume Panel\VolPanlu.exe
    C:\Windows\sttray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatchTray9.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
    C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe
    C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe
    C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\CPSHelpRunner.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe
    C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE
    C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
    C:\Users\Geoff\Downloads\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.theglobeandmail.com/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer provided by Dell
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VolPanel] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\Volume Panel\VolPanlu.exe" /r
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\Windows\UpdReg.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] sttray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLIStart.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxWatchTray] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatchTray9.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nod32kui] "C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe" /WAITSERVICE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dscactivate] C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\gs_agent\custom\dsca.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupportCenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P DellSupportCenter
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-2717516734-2145108566-946163337-1004\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'Notebook')
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: QuickSet.lnk = ?
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O13 - Gopher Prefix:
    O16 - DPF: {6E5E167B-1566-4316-B27F-0DDAB3484CF7} (Image Uploader Control) - http://www.photolab.ca/Upload/ImageUploader4.cab
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
    O23 - Service: Ati External Event Utility - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: Creative Labs Licensing Service - Creative Labs - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Creative Labs Shared\Service\CreativeLicensing.exe
    O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\Windows\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
    O23 - Service: DSBrokerService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\DellSupport\brkrsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: NOD32 Kernel Service (NOD32krn) - Eset - C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe
    O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
    O23 - Service: Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 (RoxWatch9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe
    O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (dellsupportcenter) (sprtsvc_dellsupportcenter) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: SigmaTel Audio Service (STacSV) - SigmaTel, Inc. - C:\Program Files\SigmaTel\C-Major Audio\WDM\STacSV.exe
    O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
    O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
    End of file - 7124 bytes

G

11. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

After my last post I Googled "Media Player skipping" and came across the link below and followed the instructions in the last post at the bottom of the thread as they seemed quite harmless.

http://www.tutorials-win.com/MediaPlayer/Music-player-256979/

Then I rebooted and now all the songs play without the skipping in the exact spot at the end which is the exact same thing as the person in that thread was having.

Seems the sound quality is similar or the same. I may be a bit less rich sounding or that could be in my head. Not sure what this change does and if it points at the problem and just solves it by disabling every enhancement....or was it just the one enhancement that was disabled?

I wonder if I should try resetting the enhancements by clicking the restore defaults button and then rebooting to see if the media player goes back to skipping.

Anyway this means something but I don't understand the enhancements concept that well.
    G

12. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

Sorry, forgot to mention this in my last post. When I click a new song to change from the one playing the change is instant and the new song plays right away. Previous to disabling the enhancements, I would have to wait a few seconds watching the microsoft wheel whirl until the new song kicked in................
    G

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well that's a very interesting "fix" -- but the "enhancements" properties may be sound card specific.

For example this is what I see in my Realtek Sound properties for "enhancements".

If you have something like that, you can experiment with with disabling specific enhancements, not just all at once.

It's also curious that you seem to say only files in the "My Music" folder cause this. You mean if you copy a few out to another folder -- no problem?

Look for something in your sound card's configuration menu that applies to those types of "enhancements" if you don't have the option of selectively disabling them there.

Attached Files:

14. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

My Sigma Tel sound properties looks virtually the same. Here's the thing. When I first went and checked disable all enhancements, none of the items in the box below were checked. Therefore, experimenting means either turning some things on that were not on or hitting the restore defaults and then rebooting to try that. I think I should try that.

I said that about My Music folder as that is the folder name I use in Music Folder I keep my songs. I have tried deleting everything in there to the recycle bin and then putting fresh songs in, but no use.....maybe I should delete the folder itself and make a new folder and reload it and try that. Or as you say, try playing from another folder...will give it a try.

Seems strange the cd's work and the flash drive as well.
    G

15. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

Well, I'm getting a little sick of this Media player..................

I deleted the "My Music" folder and made a new one and also restored the sound enhancements default and rebooted.

I then dropped a mp3 song that is in my Limewire Saved folder into My Music folder and it played fine right through. Then the next 5 or 6 songs skipped. Then another new song played ok..............
    Then the next few skipped, but the two that played ok still play ok..........

I'm not sure what this all means and what to do about ...........do I just go back and disable the enhancements in sound so everything plays without skipping or do I switch maybe to Real player or get the Mac player and just not use media player.........there seems to be a number of complaints about it on the web and maybe it is junk............

I really appreciate your help with this Rollin' Rog...thanks.
    Do you use Media Player or does anyone you know and does it actually work?
    G

16. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

So just to confirm, if you keep the enhancements disabled (even though non are selected) things play ok? But otherwise the problem seems interrmittant?

For what it's worth I haven't had any issues like that with WMP -- and I usually use it for most audio.

I also have Winamp and Realplayer. I think WMP and RealPlayer have slighty better audio qualities than Winamp -- but you may hardly notice and Winamp has a lot of bells and whistles to boot.

Skipping is a resource issue of some kind -- in your case for some reason the processor usage seems to be spiking.

>> Did you install a creative sound device in this system in additon to an onboard chip that came with it? I see both Sound Blaster and Sigmatel in your program list > C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\Volume Panel\VolPanlu.exe

>> Also you say you are getting these mp3s from your "limewire" folder. An "mp3" file extension is just a container. The actual codecs they use can be varied -- there is no set standard. So what you are getting from these "limewire" downloads (and we do not support file sharing issues) may not be the usual codecs.

I suggest downloading mp3s from a different source and testing.

You can see what codecs are being used either with Gspot or Media info >>

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/659082

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice