Windows Media Player and WMA's

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

manomina

Not sure if this is where I post but here is the help I need.

I am on a deployment contract and this lady had created/RIPPED .WMA files of all her music CDs. When we put in the new pc, apparently it had the ver 11 media player and it would not read her .WMA files. I downloded iTunes and that would not play them either. A coworker said it is RDM or RMD and she is essentially SOL. She doesn't want to bring in all her CDs again and re rip them...is there any hope for her OR does she have to download a WMA to MP3 converter and convert all her WMA files?

Thanks!

A coworker said it is RDM or RMD
The dyslexic coworker meant DRM - Digital Rights Managment :)

Normally when you rip CDs to WMA with WMP they don't have DRM protection, unless she checked the option "Copy protect music". If that's the case they won't play and you also can't convert them to Mp3. The only option is to rip them again to Mp3.

Even if she could convert them to Mp3 the sound quality wouldn't be as good since you're going from one lossy format to another. The best option is to rip them again to Mp3.

The Mp3 format is the most widely used so they'll play on many devices and software, including iTunes which as you've discovered won't play WMA.

manomina

Ok, so basically her WMAs are no longer good. I have no idea why she chose the WMA. I'll let her know. So programs like this http://www.wma-mp3.com/ won't convert, or the will but have a poorer sound quality?

Thank you!

What was the error message when you tried to play the files? Maybe they don't have DRM, right-click on a file and look at properties, it will tell if it's protected or not.

If you're just going to listen to the music on computer speakers then the drop in quality won't be that noticeable. If you try to play them through a good stereo system you will notice.

manomina

No, we looked at properties and no, no protection....so then there was no DRM?

I can't quote the exact message, but I will check today and post later. Nope, just the computer pc.....

Thanks!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online