1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Media Player burns songs twice

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Bobbyob, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bobbyob

Bobbyob Thread Starter

This subject was discussed starting in October of 2010 between danfordan and longhair but it didn't seem to come to a conclusion. The original writer said he was having trouble using CD-RW's. I am having trouble using regular cd-r's. My system numbers are listed below. The first time I used the Windows Media Player to make a CD everything went great. I loaded the CD, dragged the four files containg 25 songs in each and made a great data cd with 100 oldies. When I tried to do it again a few days later to make a copy for a friend, the files were burned in the following order.....1,2,3,4,1,2,4,3 and I had 200 songs on the CD, 100 songs TWICE! Thinking this was a fluke, I tried it again using a different file. I used 279 different oldies totalling 660 mb's. When I burned it, all songs came up twice again. First of all, why is it burning twice and secondly, how does 660 mb's burn twice on a 700 mb cd-r???
    Thanks, Bobbyob

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II Dual-Core M300, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3838 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 , 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 293143 MB, Free - 247587 MB; F: Total - 610331 MB, Free - 546503 MB;
    Motherboard: Gateway , SJV50TR , Rev , LXWGC02046004B018C2200
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. Bobbyob

Bobbyob Thread Starter

I posted this same question on several support sights including Windows. Besides responses that said to get rid of WMP, only one person thought that there was only one set of songs on each disk. By taking the disks and opening them in Windows Explorer, it turns out that the 100 song disk had only 100 songs on it and the 279 song disk had only 279.
    So the next question is.........does anyone know howto fix the DOUBLE LISTING in Windows Media Player???
    Thanks, Bobby

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    That would have been my guess as well, especially when you know the file sizes.

It wouldn't appear that you are burning an audio CD. The average audio CD will only hold about 20 songs. The limitation is size, 700MB or 74 minutes. Assuming you are burning the files as data, use a different burning application. If you really are burning 100 songs in audio format (which would be a bunch of "songs" of less than one minute each), I'd still suggest a different burning app.

Aside from that, reinstall WMP.

4. Bobbyob

Bobbyob Thread Starter

I posted this on several support sites and one of the responders suggested that i check the contents using Windows Explorer. As it turned out, he was correct. The songs were not burned twice, only the song LIST. But the strange part is that when I burned the DATA (not audio, sorry for the confusion) disk of 100 songs the first time, it only listed the songs ONCE. Understandably, making the same data disk of the same songs for the second time would list them TWICE, assuming that the first was corrupted.
    But why did it put the list in a different order. If you look back at my original letter, the song files were listed as 1,2,3,4,1,2,4,and then 3???
    And furthermore, when I made the 279 song/660 mb data disk for the FIRST time, why did it list all the songs TWICE? There would have been no original list to record for the second time.
    Thank you, Bobby

5. stantley

stantley

I wouldn't use WMP to burn discs, it doesn't work very well. Use CDBurnerXP instead.

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    ImgBurn...one of the best and free.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1001746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice