1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Media Player cannot play the file...

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Klomplex, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Klomplex

Klomplex Thread Starter

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there might be a problem with your sound or video device. Try installing an updated device driver."

Everything video-wise was working fine on my computer and then one day BAM I get this message when trying to open certain video files on my computer. Can anyone tell me why my computer would one day up and tell me that I all of a sudden need an updated driver?

2. abustiaf

abustiaf Guest

Is your noise working fine? Did you do as they asked (Update the drivers)? What have you changed on your computer recently?

3. Klomplex

Klomplex Thread Starter

Well, the file simply won't play. Yes I do have perfect sound and video on the one's that will play. As for changes I don't think I did anything that would warrant a message like that. But I performed all possible updates thru windows update and still no dice. How else can I update my drivers? Thanks again

4. stantley

stantley

5. abustiaf

abustiaf Guest

Are you using WMP 10? If you have another media player (i.e. quicktime, realplayer). Find out which make your sound card is & then go to there website and they will have the drivers there.

6. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

go 2 hardware manager & look 4 any yellow ! by ur sound devices, u can right click on ur sound card & click update driver from there.

7. Klomplex

Klomplex Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. That VLC media player, although primitive looking, works pretty great. WMPlayer though is still crapping out on me. No yellow !'s beside any of my sound or video stuff, and I'm not sure how I'd figure out about where I can find the latest drivers. If you got any more tips for me great, but if not thanks for all the help.

8. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

There seems to be rash of WMP problems associated with the latest MS security updates. There seems to be a feeling out there that all MS updates need to be installed, that's not the case, as MS is covering all possible bases that may not apply to your specific configuration and or uses.

9. Klomplex

Klomplex Thread Starter

Is there a way then to find out which, if any, particular updates are interferring with my WMP and that may be optional?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/506577