1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Media Player has renamed my music album folders

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by AndrewRLP, Oct 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AndrewRLP

AndrewRLP Thread Starter

I'm almost certain this has something to do with a recent Windows Update.

All of the cd's that I have ripped via WMP in the past were all fine. Then since the last update, every single folder has been renamed from "Unknwon album (16-10-2016-5-10-19)" to "Unknwon album (16-10-2016-5-16-49)"

The track names still exist however.

But a lot of tracks have been placed into other folders instead.

When I click on the properties for a track and then the Details tab, every field is blank until you get down to the File section.

Is there any way to have this all revert back to how it was without having to go and rip the cd's again?

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium and Window Media Player Version 12.0.7601.23517

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I've seen some odd/unexpected behavior from patches, but not file renaming/moving. User/data files should be untouched by any patching. And I wouldn't expect there is a way to reverse what has happened.

3. AndrewRLP

AndrewRLP Thread Starter

The first track of every album was unchanged but all the rest were modified and moved.

I just deleted the lot. It'll be quicker to rip them all again then going through renaming and moving them back where they should be.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    You may want to use something different to RIP if WMP isn't pulling the disc/track info.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1179609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice