1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Media Player HELP! Error Downloading Codec, etc..

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fallenangel7, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fallenangel7

fallenangel7 Thread Starter

My problem is, I can't use the scrollbar in Windows Media Player when playing MPG/MPEG files. If I try to scroll across, it takes me back to the beginning. Any idea on how to fix this? It only does it with MPG's, I think all the other formats work fine..

And I get that "Error Downloading Codec" message, the time and icon on the "Now Playing" page turns orange.. and when I click that, it takes me to the Windows site.. which says:

===============

The required codec cannot be found

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the required codec cannot be found. To determine how to obtain the codec identified as {E436EB81-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}, contact the content provider.

===============

Can someone please help? This is really irritating me and I'd like to fix this problem ASAP.. thanks!

2. Topkat

Topkat

3. fallenangel7

I actually have that, and I don't think the problem is missing codecs. Maybe I have to uninstall the video or audio codecs I'm already using, or switch to other ones, but I just don't know how..

Thanks anyway though, any other suggestions anyone?

4. Topkat

Topkat

If you have more than one codec pack, that could be your problem. You have to uninstall the others before you install the k-lite pack for example.
    Also, have you tried to reinstall WMP?

5. fallenangel7

Reinstalled WMP several times, and I actually just downloaded that Kazaa Lite codec pack earlier on in the day. I don't think that could the the problem.. I've been having this WMP problem for about a month now.

6. fallenangel7

Any more ideas? :\

Someone suggested that I remove the video codec it plays with.. "Subtitle Mixer". I have no idea how to get rid of that, anybody here know?

Thanks.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    More and more are using DivX codecs. Try installing DivX codecs. Usually that is the codec is missing.

www.divx.com

8. fallenangel7

I REALLY don't think it's missing codecs.. I do a LOT of stuff with videos, and it can't be a missing codec.. I've got hundreds of codecs on this thing..

9. haroonr

haroonr

Download DivX and it should do it!!

I have the prior version, Divx 5.0.5, and it works. There's a newer version 5.1 too. I assume that should work also.

www.DivX.com

Have fun!

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    DivX is updated it's codecs. You might wanna get those to see if it works.

Also look at http://www.moviecodec.com/ to find more information on your file.

11. GuzziheroV50

GuzziheroV50

Ive been running round in circles trying to get some recently downloaded anime to work. The K-lite pack you suggested did the trick. Thanks :) (y)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168441

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice