1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Media Player Media Library Help

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by James Crosso, Mar 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Crosso

James Crosso Thread Starter

Hello,

I am having a peculiar problem with Windows Media Player 9 series. Since its release I have used WMP9 problem free. Now I have encountered some mysterious problems with the Media Library.

One day I opened the Media Library to find nearly 1,000 songs not listed which were previously there. I have checked that the files still exist, and I have checked the WMP is monitoring the correct folders. Even more mysterious is that when I choose to list the music by Album only about a dozen albums show up, even though there is music in the library that is part and listed under hundreds of albums (And even the music that still shows up).

I have tried numerous ways to re-add the music to the library, and I have even reinstalled WMP9. I have not done an uninstall/reinstall because I am hesitant to lose the user ratings (I don't care much about Play Count though).

I have exhausted chat rooms, microsoft support, and many other support forums and have not found even one person with a similar issues. It would be absolutely wonderful if somebody on this board would be able to help me.

James Crosson
    [email protected]

Feel free to IM me at NYY96 (AIM) if I happen to be online.

2. Moby

Moby

While not having the answer to your problem, if you wanted to try the uninstall re-install option, you could back up the media library database file first, then re-install it to get your ratings back if you wished. I don't know if this would be the way forward if there's something wrong with the library though as you'd be re-installing the one that is broke at the moment, just something to think about. The library information is held in this file

"C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\CurrentDatabase_59R.wmdb"

before uninstalling/reinstalling windows media player though, have a look at what THIS guy has to say on the matter. There's not much he doesn't know about WMP.

3. James Crosso

James Crosso Thread Starter

I migrated the ratings to the songs using a power toy and then I destroyed and rebuilt the database. Thanks for referring me to that web page it was worthwhile.

Thanks a lot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/213094

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice