1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows media player playlist quirk

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by unstresst, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. unstresst

unstresst Thread Starter

..I've gotten such good teatment with other questions that I am gonna try 'nuther.

Copied a C D to a playlist, then exported playlist to a file.
    ....Then I went back to media player and deleted the playlist there and BAM!! the playlist FILE wouldn't work after that.

..Would like to clean out the lists in media player yet still keep the FILES that I exported....is that possible??

2. Pat C

Pat C

Hi, don't quite know if this is what you're after but I'll give it a shot anyway.
    Instead of copying to a playlist and then saving to a file, I usually just save to a file and then create a playlist if I need one. That way I can delete the playlist if I no longer need it and the file isn't affected.
    Hope that helps. :)

3. Moby

Moby

Don't know quite what you mean. When you copy a cd (am assuming you copied via media player) the files (single tracks) are already saved somewhere, usually my music folder in my docs, but you can pick where they go in the media player settings. The info in media player is just a shortcut to this original folder. If you delete a playlist from media player then it won't play. All your music should be organised and set up into playlists from within media player. First you have to get the info into media player to make these lists from. Don't quite understand why you want a list from outside media player but it will be media player that will be playing them.
    Before I go on and I'm not on the right track, could you explain more what you're after overall?
    I've spent many a long hour organising my 1000's of songs in media player.
    What version player and windows do you have too?

4. unstresst

unstresst Thread Starter

....we have two players that are called Windows media player.
    ..one is small-ish,,probably came with the OS.
    ..the other is the latest version downloaded program.
    .....What I do is I build playlist on the Player that was downloaded from the net. I dont like playing playlist there because it skips and causes net surfin to slow down.
    ...so I export playlist to an personal folder and play them with the smaller player-
    now I have a all these songs taking up space in two places: windows media player and in my personal folder.....I dont need the duplicate song list in the media player any more....but if i delete them from windows media player then the playlists that are in my personal folder wont work.

5. Moby

Moby

The "small player" will probably be version 6.4 and the one you've downloaded version 7 or above. (to get which version it is, when you're in media player (both types) click help, about = gives you version number)
    As you've got version 6.4 with the os I assume that you will have windows 98.
    The later version of media player does indeed use more resources, which may be the skipping you hear. There are things you can do to try and lessen what's going on in the background while the computer is on to free up some resources, like reducing the start up list for eg. If you want to try this you'll have to post you specs/os etc.
    Have you also selected the older version to be the player that plays your type of saved music file?
    It sounds like the newer version is the player that plays these by default. You need to go into the options of both media players. In the options you can select which type of files each media player plays by default. So if you files are mp3 for example, you need to unselect mp3 from the new player, and select it in the older one (these are in the formats tab in media player options).
    Then your older player will be the one that plays that type of file.
    You may have to do this a couple of times as the new player likes to keep hold of it's file types sometimes.
    Even then I am not sure that a list you created in the new player then export, will play in the old player, my guess is no.
    Your other option is to download another media player. There are lots of free, low resource hogging players out there. Winamp is one but if you do a search in this site for free media players, you'll get lots of discussions on which is best.
    With this option you will be able to get all the functions of the newer player you have, but shouldn't affect your system or surfing, because they take up far less resources.
    You can then create your playlists in that and play them in that without exporting/saving etc.
    Shout if you want more.

6. Jammer09

Jammer09

The problem I am having with my HP, WindowsXP, Media Player 9 is similar to the one being discussed here. I am transferring my music from an old Sony, windows98, media player 6 I think, to my new machine hp, windowsXP, Media Player 9 via a removable usb. When I do this and try to play on media player 9 it pulls up internet explorer and won't play the music. Should I post a new thread? Am I hogging here? I am kind of new here & the rules said to look for similar threads to your problem & here I am. Need help, I received some help from everyone in windlows98 and got one of my problems solved so I came here for this one. I am also new to windowsXP and media player 9. Do I continue here or post new? Sorry.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice