1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Media Player Problem..

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RsX, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RsX

RsX Thread Starter

Everytime I try to play a file on windows media player.. it doesnt seem to work.. it says connecting.. then these 2 icons appear on the bottom right tray icons. I believe its vobsub, and this reclock properties. After that, it just exits the WMP by itself...

When I try to open / load a video file, it also closes..

Can anyone help ?

My computer is windows XP, 37.5 GB space, 256 MB RAM, dell, pentium 4 proc, 1.7GHZ

2. Dan O

Dan O

What has happened most likely is another application was installed that is conflicting with it or changed the default settings. If you have not upgraded to version 9 download it and the install should correct the problems.

3. RsX

RsX Thread Starter

I already had WMP version 9 that time. I think you are right.. I think I installed some codec.. because I remember this pop up asking me to download this codec to watch this stream video. How do I get rid of this..

I already tried reinstalling WMP 9 over the other one, didnt work.

4. pjblevin

pjblevin

I recently had a LOT of trouble with WMP. I tried to uninstall it several times. (Note: As you probably know, the uninstall only takes you back to a previous version, ala Internet Explorer.) I was left with 2 choices: 1) format, or 2) find another media player. I didn't like either choice, but I preferred choice No. 1, on the idea that it's better to deal with the ills you have than to fly to others that you don't know about. So I got pissed off and, after "uninstalling" WMP, I went on a rampage and deleted anything with "wmp" in the file name. (I figured that if this doesn't work, I'll just reformat......I've sure done that enough times.) I went into the registry.......deleted anything with WMP. Then I ran a search.......ditto. Anything with "WMP" in the name was out the window!! Then I downloaded the "upgrade" from MS (as I had done those many times). You know what.......it WORKED!!! However, you gotta be ready to reformat, cause this process, particularly fooling around in the registry, could blow your system.

pjblevin

5. RsX

RsX Thread Starter

Aw damit.. I knew I shouldnt have installed the excess windows media player codec, I don't want to format my computer just because of this player, I want to use this player because I can pause and take screeenshots of particular movies. Other players I pause take a screenshot using (Print Screen) and it doesn't work. Does anyone know of any video programs that can pause and take screenshots ?

6. Dan O

Dan O

Try going to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and see if you can uninstalled the codec you installed. Then perfrom a System Restore a day or a few days before you installed the codec. You can access it in the Control Panel and selecting Performance and Maintenance and System Restore, which will be listed in the left top menu.

Good luck.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218202

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice