1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Media Player problems

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by jvnderwe, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jvnderwe

jvnderwe Thread Starter

Recently I have been having problems with Windows Media Player within my web brower. When I use WMP to play a video from my hard disk I have no problems, yet if I try and view a video embedded in a web page it will not play. However, the odd site that uses a quicktime format presents no problems. When I use Mozilla I get an "illegal operation" error and am forced to close my browser. When using IE the video simply does not play.

I am running Win98SE with windows media player 9. I have Mozilla 1.7 and IE 6.
    I have tried reinstalling WMP and installing codecs but to no avail. I also made sure ZoneAlarm was allowing the player to access the internet but that was not the problem either. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. fevola25

fevola25

i had similar problems with wmp, and never had them resolved, so i downloaded winamp, and its been running perfect ever since... not a bad player either.

3. jvnderwe

jvnderwe Thread Starter

Well, most webpages with embedded video clips seem to require WMP. Is there any way to make them use another player?

4. otoe1

otoe1

This might depend on the speed of your ISP....dial-up by chance????
    This will slow down most web pages.

5. jvnderwe

jvnderwe Thread Starter

No, I have cable internet. Many sites ask you to choose your connection speed, but regardless of what I choose the video will not play.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324441

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice