1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Media Player - sorting music within an album

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Schnitzu, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Schnitzu

Schnitzu Thread Starter

Hi All. I have an Acer Aspire which I use as a media machine, mostly music. I have an internal LAN which connects several devices, including a Sony Bravia smart TV. Windows Media Player on the Acer serves my music to the Bravia. This has worked just fine.

But, of course, I had to upgrade the Acer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. It seems a new version of WMP may have come with Win10. It searched for, and found all my music, and seems to have organized it just fine. However, when I access the music now from the Bravia, the songs within each album are sorted alphabetically instead of sorted in the order in which they were recorded on the album. I much prefer to have them sorted as they were originally recorded. I have searched for solutions to this issue and come up empty handed. Does anyone out there have any ideas?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    That is NOT true. You do NOT have to upgrade. Microsoft WANTS you to upgrade.

As for the files, different software sorts files differently. The WMP version shouldn't matter unless that is what you are using to share the files. Typically, you would just share the folder containing the files an allow other devices to read them.

3. Schnitzu

Schnitzu Thread Starter

Of course you are correct. I was not very clear. I should of said 'But, of course, I went ahead and upgraded the Acer from Windows 7 to Windows 10.'.

In any event, let me be a little more specific. Over the last couple of years I have been ripping my many CDs to the Acer using WMP. For the most part, it worked pretty well. My DLNA compliant Sony TV finds and recognizes the Acer, and allows me to play the albums that I have ripped to the Acer. The music within the albums as displayed on the TV has always been in the same order as they were recorded on the CD.

Then I did the upgrade to Win10. After the upgrade, I launched WMP. It initially showed no music on the Acer, but then did a search of the Acer and found and organized all my music. Things looked fine.

Now, when I look at an album from within WMP, the music is in the correct order, but when I look at that album from the Sony TV, the music is in alphabetical order. The two views don't match.

I have one other DLNA compliant device on my LAN (a Blue Ray player), and it also finds the music on the Acer. It also displays the music within an album in alphabetical order.

So, what I am trying to do is to get my DLNA devices to display and play my music in the order that it was recorded, not in alphabetical order. Is there a way to do this?

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    From what I've found, it's not an OS (ie: Win10) issue, it appears to be related to the DLNA server being used, which appears to be related to the WMP version. A search shows numerous other complaints of the same issue using Win7/8/8.1 and 10.

5. Schnitzu

Schnitzu Thread Starter

Yeah, I agree. I was hoping that someone who new more about WMP or DLNA than I do could point out a quick fix - a parameter I needed to change or something. But it looks like I will have no such luck. I will keep on researching the issue. If I find a solution, I will post it here.

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The only solution I've seen is to use a third party DLNA server. It's not a config or setting issue in Windows.

7. Schnitzu

Schnitzu Thread Starter

Okay, I could not find a solution to this issue within Windows Media Player. So, at Oddba11's suggestion, I did some research on third party DLNA servers. I chose the free version of Plex Media Server and downloaded it. Through Plex, my music is now in the correct order (Track number order). I am happy with this solution. I now consider this issue resolved. Thanks.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1163594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice