1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Media Player will not play DVD's

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by cdj, Mar 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cdj

cdj Thread Starter

My Toshiba Satellite laptop can not play any of my DVD's anymore. It says that "Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been removed, renamed or deleted." It use to play my DVD's It will play the music CD's.I hope someone can help me with this new problem of mine. Thanks for any help in advance!!

2. jasond0d0

jasond0d0

hello buddy,

You say your WMP previously could play DVD's, and that means you have installed a DVD decoder on your laptop, then i suggest you try the things as following:

1. Double-click the DVD file to open it, DO NOT drag & drop or click open from file menu;
    2. If you are not using Windows Vista, delete the WMP and reinstall it;
    3. If the two attempts above do not work or your are using Wins Vista, i'm afraid you will have to restore your Wins OS.
    4. If you think restoring OS is not worth all the bother, just download and install VLC player to replace WMP. VLC player can play various video files including DVD's and BD's.

The above is all the solutions i can provide. Try them and let me know if they can solve your problem. Good Luck.

Jason

3. cdj

cdj Thread Starter

I have downloaded VLC and here is my new error message, Your input can't be opened:

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///D:/'. Check the log for details. So it sounds like something serious has happened to my laptop. I have a Backup and restore disc I made myself 3 years ago, and Toshiba Applications and Drivers DVD I burned also. Recovery disc. I have tried these but I don't have any luck. What do I do now? Thanks for all help I get.

4. Johnny2K

Johnny2K

As I recall a typical DVD drive has a CD laser and a DVD laser. In the past I had many drives past their prime that quit burning DVDs yet could still work with CDs.

Without knowing what's in yours something like this may be the answer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=laptop_dvd_drive-_-27-151-271-_-Product

There are also USB externals.

This may be more robust and it has better specs/speeds. It appears to be a full sized drive which should provide longer life and reliability.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=laptop_dvd_drive-_-27-136-267-_-Product

5. cdj

cdj Thread Starter

After more investigation of my older DVD that recorded and watched a few years ago and now can not be watched on Windows Media Player. Here is what it says for WMP; "WMP cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer". Also some plays on VLC and some does not play. Then some of these will only play on Toshiba DVD player. I am getting mixed answers on my media players and what they will or will not play. I think I will just give up and never use my laptop for DVD recording or playing. I have a desktop upstairs that my husband uses mostly. Need to just use it for this purpose.If anyone understands what is going on, PLEASE,, Help!!!! Nothing has worked yet. Thanks

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    VLC should play all of the discs supported by the DVD drive.

Note: There are three basic disc types available. CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray discs. As this is an older laptop, it very likely does not support Blu-Ray. I mention this as I've seen people refer to all of the discs as "DVD" or "CD" because they don't understand they are different. I don't know exactly what type of discs you are using, just trying to be thorough, and it's the only explanation as to why VLC will play some and not others. ALL DVD's are the same format, so if one works, they should all work, unless the actual DVD drive is faulty.

7. cdj

cdj Thread Starter

I am getting so frustrated with my laptop. My personal DVDs that have worked on this device in the past and plays on the other computer, still does not play on Toshiba Media Player or Windows Media Player or even VLC. The error I get on Toshiba DVD player on my own movie is "The disc could not be played. Please check the disc". Trying through WMP the error is "WMP can not play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer." I can play a store bought movie on Toshiba media Player but not the other 2 players (VLC or WMP). The error message i get on WMP when trying a store DVD; "WMP encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance click on web help." But nothing happens when I click on Web Help. The error i get on VLC for the store bought movie; "VLC is unable to open the MRL DVD://D:/. Check the log for details." This VLC error message also happens when I try to play my own DVD. I have some real problems here. I hope someone understands this, I sure don't!!! Any help would be Greatly Appreciated!! Thanks.

8. Johnny2K

Johnny2K

Replace the drive.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice