1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Media Player won't play d/l songs anymore

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by brinybay, Nov 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brinybay

brinybay Thread Starter

I d/l some songs that were playing just fine on WMP for a while until I tried to install Yahoo Music Engine. YME didn't completely install because it encountered some sort of problem. Now when I try to play them on WMP, it says it needs a security update, but then encounters error code 800C2F78. The Microsoft Web site only says it's investigating the problem, it's not on it's list of common error codes. We're talking about a lot of songs that I paid a buck apiece for. The songs that I ripped from CDs play just fine, it's only the ones I d/l.
    164 gig HD
    512 Meg installed memory

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If it's from Yahoo! then it may be a licensing issue. Have you tried another media player?

3. brinybay

brinybay Thread Starter

At your suggestion, I d/l and installed Real Player, same problem, says it needs a security upgrade. I also tried restoring the licenses to no avail, it comes up with that same error code and message. I think the problem may stem from an update that popped up on my computer a while back that I didn't recognize so I canceled it. It was for a media player and it had the same icon as WMP, but it had an entirely different name. I had no clue what it was so I canceled it. I tried reinstalling WMP, didn't help.

Also, while installing both YME and WMP, I got a message about System Restore not being turned on and it wanted me to cancel installation and turn it on first. I tried to turn it on, but it keeps telling me it "started and stopped because some services will automatically stop if they have no work to do, such as performance logs and alerts." I tried turning that on too, but I got the same message. Not sure what gives. I've got over $100 worth of d/l songs I hate to loose, that'll teach me to back them up!

4. brinybay

brinybay Thread Starter

Not real sure, but it must have been something to do with the System Restore being turned off. Once I figured out how to do that correctly (through the system icon in the control panel, not the services in admin tools) and turned it back on, they now work. I had SR turned off all that time, so again not sure exactly what the problem was, but as long as it works, whatever.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/419264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice