1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Media Player wont play dvd's

Discussion in 'General Security' started by jimmybobby, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimmybobby

jimmybobby Thread Starter

My problem is that I cant play dvd's on wmp 10.It uses 100% cpu and stutters and slows.This also happens on real player...and I tried vlc as well.In task manager the cpu is high 70/80' for wmp .On the bottom the cpu sticks at 100%.if I am lucky I can just about play one song before it stalls.Any help would be welcome.Thanks.JimmyBobby

2. karbo

karbo Banned

You may have too many processes running at the same time.

How much RAM do you have?

3. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear JimmyBobby,
    You sure have a problem with either inadequate RAM as pointed out by Karbo OR too many processes running at the same time! If possible can you send a snapshot of your pc's task manager "processes"? Your computer specs.will come in handy too.

I'll try and tackle the prob from another angle. Have you installed a dvd decoder for wmp10? If not go here and download: http://en.kioskea.net/faq/sujet-224-playing-dvds-in-windows-media-player

You need to have win.XP for the above patch.I don't think it will work with Vista! Best wishes. :)

4. jimmybobby

The pc specs...Celeron cpu 2.80GHZ...256 ram. When I click on Partition C local disk it says 60GB of free space.There are 54 processes running in the task manager..No I never added a dvd decoder to the media player as it always worked up until now..I will try to see if it makes a difference.When it comes to the pc I am not an expert ...I learn as I go..Thanks for the replies..Karbo and Perfume:)
    I tried to open that link you gave me perfume..but the page was not available...so I will google and see if I can find the patch for the player

5. karbo

karbo Banned

256 Mb of RAM for 54 processes is definitely not enough. With XP, you need at least 512 Mb or RAM without being really optimal. I recommend even 1 Gb.

54 processes is also too many. You surely could cut a few.

6. perfume

perfume Banned

7. jimmybobby

Thank you perfume for the link...but it didnt help :)...I will have to try and get rid of some of the processes by googling to see if they are needed...like jucheck.exe which is not critical..or so it says....I may end up with a bigger problem if I am not careful....Thanks as well to Karbo for the advice......I will see how it goes.....If I dont post again ye will know I have done something I shouldnt have:D

8. jimmybobby

I got down to 40 processes by checking what I could stop at startup...still some there that I am not sure if I can stop.....Still the same with the windows and realplayer.There must be some processes that I can safely stop in the task manager..I may try to post a list of what is on there:)

9. karbo

karbo Banned

Please do. I'm sure we can cut it down a bit more. Personaly, I have 27 running processes.

Take a screenshot of what you see in the System Configuration Utility, under the Startup tab.

To get there, go to Start / Run / type msconfig

Open the Startup tab

Take a screenshot by pressing on ALT + Printscreen keys.

Open Paint and paste your screenshot in there.

Save as a JPEG file and post it back here.

Don't forget though that we won't make any miracles with 256 Mb of RAM...

10. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

It's not the number of processes running, it's the amount of RAM being used by the processes that are running.

You've got 256MB of RAM installed, but you need to know how much RAM is in use. While in Task Manager, click on the "Performance" tab and report the number in the "PF Usage" section of the window.

Peace...

11. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear tomdkat,
    That's one real good advice. It's akin to not how much money is in your bank vaults, but how much and how well you are spending it? Thank you! Mine is 1.04 GB

12. perfume

perfume Banned

Here's a legit question. WMP is owned by MS--fine! Does it allow playing DVD's,MP4's, MPEG2's and other video formats downloaded from what is now considered illegal sites and also some legal sites like youtube,Dailymotion,etc? Youtube videos preferably get downloaded to Real Player and can be converted to play in other video players. I downloaded hundreds of videos when i was in my early teens when the music industry was fast asleep. Iam disinclined to play these videos on WMP. Are my fears justified or am i being just paranoid? Now i strictly play by the rules!:cool:

13. jimmybobby

Karbo..Tried pasting what you asked but it said file was too big...I will try again....tomdKat...PF usage is 267..

14. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Ok, that means you've exhausted all the physical RAM installed and Windows will be using virtual memory, which will slow down system performance. If possible, upgrade the system to have more RAM and see if that helps your system performance. If possible, get as close to 1GB of RAM (or more) in your system as you can.

Peace...

15. Bichey

Bichey

If your PF usage is running nearly at the maximum, increase the virtual memory size

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/802490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice