Windows Media Player wont play/uninstall/install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Noonan

Man. I've been having this problem for the entire summer.

Heres what happens when I open WMA..
I get a screen that says "WELCOME TO WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER 9. Thanks for choosing WMA 9 the all in one media player", etc. I click next. Next screen says "Select Your Privacy Options". I select next. I get a screen called "Custom Installation Options". Here I can choose what files I want to open with WMA. I click FINISH.. and I get the "WELCOME TO WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER 9" window all over again. I can do this 100 times and never get anywhere.

OK.. So I figured, "Ill just uninstall it and reinstall it". When I go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Files.. WMA uninstalls but leaves the shortcuts but if I click them I get the "WELCOME TO WMA" screen again.

So I tried to just install a new version. It makes a back up point and such, and then I hit finish.. and it says that "Installation could not be completed".

This is seriously making me mad. Any ideas? I ran spyware programs and AV programs and nothing. Please help.

i was just about to post the exact same issue, i to tried to uninstall and reinstall, didnt work either. i downloaded a full version off microsoft and tried to install it, but it kept failing.

Noonan

DCplin said:
Hi,

Goto Start -> Run & Enter the following:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\windows\inf\wmp.inf,Uninstall

This rolls Media Player back to its original install state. Next Windows Media Player 9 may then be downloaded from:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/player.aspx

Hope this helps,

DCplin
Just did it and...
(n)

Got a few error messages saying it cant delete. Then I went to install the new file and it said a newer version exists on my computer. When I click WMA nothing happens now.

Thanks for the help though.

Try running the command in Safe Mode:

To go to Safe Mode Please perform the following steps:
1. Restart your Presario
2. Keep Tapping "F8" Key continuously when you see the Red Compaq Logo.
3. Select Safe Mode

DCplin

ok, doing it in safe mode worked great, thank you.

now i had a virus that avg caught that said it was being seen in wmplayer.exe. is that what prob caused this?

Hi vladius13,

What version of Windows is installed on your Computer (i.e. Windows 95/98/ME/XP/2000)?

If Windows 98
=============

STEP 1:
Goto Start -> Run & Enter the following:
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\windows\inf\wmp.inf,Uninstall
This rolls Media Player back to its original install state.

STEP 2:
Use Add & Remove programs utility located in Control panel to uninstall WMP.

STEP 3:
Run the Antivirus software program and remove "wmplayer.exe" if identified as virus.

STEP 4:
Reinstall Windows Media Player.

Further...
Check out the FAQ's for Windows Media Player at the following Link:

http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html

Hope the information in the web page helps,

DCplin

ok, this is making me nuts. i did the above, twice, and even upgraded to media player 10, it works fine every time for what seems to be a few hours, then reverts back to the original problem.

couldnt find any info to help with this issue on the above listed ssight. can anyone help figure this out

Noonan

vladius13 said:
ok, this is making me nuts. i did the above, twice, and even upgraded to media player 10, it works fine every time for what seems to be a few hours, then reverts back to the original problem.

couldnt find any info to help with this issue on the above listed ssight. can anyone help figure this out
ugh. same here. :confused: :( :mad:

Ah well. They tried.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online