1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows media player wont play wma

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by scod, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scod

scod Thread Starter

Hi everyone

Ok WMP wont play any .wma files. when I try to open one I get WMP has encountered an error and has to close. I get the same error when I try to sync both of my mp3 players (they play wma files) and any program that checks WMP. I can play all other formats (mp3 mpg avi wav jpg), but if I try to play any .wma file i get the same crash error no matter what program it is. Can't pinpoint when this happened because I only found it out after I tryed to sync my juke phone (was fine first time but dosen't work any more). I've added a few programs since then but uninstalled all of them and same problem. Only thing thats still there that is updated is SP3. Reverted back to WMP 9 but still same problem. Ok I think thats all

Scod
    P.S. Thanks for any help in advance

2. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Which other apps did you try?

Peace...

3. sup2a

sup2a

have you tired VLC? if not please do, also make sure the files are not damaged

4. scod

scod Thread Starter

Hi
    was out of town and away from my pc vlc will play the file but no music just silince still fine on all other formats i removed all wma files then tryed to reload from the cd but still crashed my WMP and silence in vlc not sure where the problem is but trying to find out whats going on with it and would like WMP becuase of the sync for my players the only thing i can come up with is that sp3 has some kind of a conflict with my sound card dosent show one but you know

5. scod

scod Thread Starter

Hi
    was on a friends pc to post last message then tried to sync up with his WMP and got the same crash shes running sp2 so one of my files or my juke is bugged or has a problem I've run AVG and Spybot on them and found nothing but could be new or my programs cant find it ill give an update if i can find it going to load one at a time till i find out witch one it is to see if that will do it
    and for every one out there about illagel downloads i bought and payed for every one of my files cd or napster

6. ursus

ursus

I'm having the exact same problem with WMP 11. I can't play any of my wma files. WMP is generally unstable for other formats as well, i.e. eventually no matter what file type WMP encounters an error.

To my best recollection, this all started after visiting a web site that said I needed a "plugin" of some sort. Despite my suspicions, I allowed this. This was a mistake because WMP wouldn't play anything after that. Soon after this though, Microsoft released an automatic update that seemed to fix the problem. WMP now works to a certain extent, but still encounters errors and won't play wma files at all. And I have also tried Real Player with the same problem for wma files only.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/715967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice