1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Media Player won't turn off subtitles??

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Bonecrusher123, Sep 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bonecrusher123

Bonecrusher123 Thread Starter

hey guys, i've got a movie i just tried watching and there are subtitles on it. i have subtitles turned off in WMP on win7 and i have right clicked and selected 'turn off subtitles' but they won't turn off. i tried it in VLC and it worked fine without subs. anyone know why this happens?

2. pip22

pip22

When WMP is palying a movie, take a look at the notifications area of the taskbar.
    If you see an icon there related to the movie, right-click it and select "Disable subtitles"

3. Bonecrusher123

Bonecrusher123 Thread Starter

where is the taskbar? how do i do that?

4. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

The options you disabled in WMP only affect external subtitle files. This would apply to DVD playback, or files with an external subtitle file.

For example: actionmovie.avi and actionmovie.srt (srt/sub/idx - are subtitle files)

If you are playing a single file (ie: actionmovie.avi) and there is no subtitle fiile, then the subtitles are hardcoded. In other words, they are part of the video. They cannot be disabled.

5. Ent

Ent Josiah Trusted Advisor

If they were hard coded into the DVD, then playing in VLC would also show the subtitles.
    I think the issue to which Pip22 refers is that an external codec, such as ffdshow, may be interpreting the subtitles, and sending them with the video to Media Player. Since Media player doesn't control the codec, it can't turn them off. However the codec program may have its own option for controlling subtitles.

This program can often be found in the task bar as Pip22 says. That means the set of icons in the bottom right of your screen, near to the clock.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1018076