1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows media player wont work..help!!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by The BRat, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The BRat

The BRat Thread Starter

Ok heres the deal:

I decided to watch a small video clip on the internet. I went to the website, clicked on the clip and Windows media player started. After a few minutes, an error message popped up saying "error downloading codec". I searched the website and found that this video was encoded using Divx. I went to the website(www.divx.com) and downloaded the codec and the divx player. After the installation, I cant open Windows Media player, I double click on the menu icon and the desktop icon and nothing happens. The computer does not freeze, but WMP wont open . I'm using WMP 10 and Windows XP/
    Do I have to reinstall WMP, or is there an easy way out?

Help!

Thanks

2. strictor

strictor

I would just uninstall and reinstall WMP and see if that works. Try downloading WMP 10 straight from Microsoft for the reinstall. Just in case your downloas for WMP 10 got corrupted. Shouldn't take too long.

3. aussietech

aussietech

Unisntall the DivX codex and download "K-Lite codec pack", it features pretty much every codec you could possibly need for watching vids these days.

Do a google seach to find a good download for it, after its installed you might want to install MP10 for good measure.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/332892

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice