Windows Media Player & World of Warcraft

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ghowthoo

Hey guys,
Short story:

3 days ago I was attacked by a viciously damaging virus/malware thing that forced me to wipe out all my hard drives and completely fresh install a new OS multiple times in order to finnaly get rid of it. (I was trying to save some files but in the end, at the last fresh install, i wiped out all my files so it wouldnt come back).

-- End of short story.

My problem is that before this all happened, I was able to ALT-TAB out of WoW and play my frapped videos with ease, working prefectly... not just my frapped videos but any kinds of videos, whether it be in my Windows Media Player or online from launch.yahoo.com and things like that... it all worked, all while i was alt-tabbed from WoW.

but now... with my newly fresh machine, I cant do that anymore... when I try, I get blank screens as the "progress" bar on my windows media player moves forward but nothing is being displayed.... if I play a video with sound, the sound plays fine but no video is displayed..

I tried updating my WPM codecs and downloaded a DIVX codec with its player and tested there too but with no luck either. of course when I exit WoW and play all these videos on my desktop, they work fine.

Now I loaded up Battlefield 2: Special Forces, a resource intenstive game and ALT-TABBED out of that and tried playing my frapped videos/online videos/whatever and they all worked fine with BF2 still loaded.

So it has to be something with my WoW and its relations with my system... at first i thought it was this 1.9 patch, but people within this game tell me it works fine on their end.

Anyway I have a completely clean system, with Windows XP PRO SP2 updated with all the critical updates from microsoft.

thank you for any help!

system specs if it could help:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.7 ghz)
Asus A7V333 Motherboard
1 gig PC2700 Samsung system memory
Samsung CDRW-DVD SM352B Combo drive
1x 100GB WD 8MB cache 7200RPM hard drive
1x 250GB WD 8MB cache 7200RPM hard drive
SB Audigy 2
BFG GeForce 6600 GT OC Video card
400Watt PSU

ghowthoo

I think I sorta figured out what was wrong, i reformatted again haha i got fustrated.. anyway there are a few variables but my "pet peeve" that was huge, shrunk after hours and hours of trying to pinpoint the extra problem hehe... anyway just wanted to write a reply for an update to it for curious minds. =P

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online