windows media player

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

crawdad

How do i get windows media player out of any downloading situation. now when i click on a audio link to download the media player screen comes up and nothing happens. please help. thanks.

You have to know the file type for what is downloaded and reassociate it with something else. What you might try doing is right click on it and choose "save target as". This should just download the file to a target directory of your choice without trying to open in a player. Once you have it you can reassociate.

To do that, select (highlight) the file and then shift+right click on it. Select "open with" from the dialog window and then select another media player to associate it with. Check "always use" and ok.

crawdad

that didnt work, however i dont know here to check "always use" and "yes". Just to clarify,when i click on a dowmload link the windows player doesnt open its more like just a windows player screenshot. its weird.

Did you get this "Open With" dialog window to select from (see attachment)?

What are the file types you are having the problem with? Is it happening on all sites, or just some? (it may be due to the web site trying to open a particular player by default)

And can you save the target as I suggested and then open the file in the player of your choice?

Attachments

I have Media Player. I don't think ROG uses it. Would you supply a link please? I'll see what happens when I click on it.

EDIT: I forgot to ask you which version of Media Player you are using.

crawdad

Its seems to be with audio(mp3) the strange thing is i was downloading a lot of stuff and it was working fine and then this window popped up but i didnt see what it said cause i was working to fast and after that i couldnt download. i think it was the thing where it says internet explorer has a built in media player would you like to use it etc. i must of inadvertantly pressed yes cause thats when it started. and yes i can do the "save link as " thing the problem is some times pages start the download for you and its then that i cant "save link as" heres a link if you still want it
http://scnpunk.heavengames.com/sdb/sounds.php?cat=2&subcat=8

sorry this was so long, i appreciate the help

I have Quicktime and that is what played these links when I went to the site. I right clicked and saved, then Media Player played them offline. Media Player is associated with that file type MP3 on my computer.

What happens is you click on the link and another window opens. The Player is embedded and the song starts to play automatically. I tried to view the source to see how they had it set up, but they had it greyed out . That is done on their end.

Quicktime played the music on the web. I then searched for the music. It was in Temporary internet. And it had the Media Player Logo. I right clicked on it and chose copy, opened up a folder and pasted it in.

If this happens on only some sites, it may be the way they have things set up. They have a player imbedded in the page and that player plays the music.

I'm not really sure what you did. That also could have been asking if you wanted to install Quicltime.
You might try to return to a previous registry if this happened less than five days ago. I am not sure if it would help. Any other changes, installs and uninstalls would be lost.

To restore a previous registry boot to the comand prompt and type

scanreg /restore Press enter
Choose a reg from a date before this happened.

I'll add to the puzzle. For me they played in RealPlayer if I left clicked on them. But if I downloaded them, they played in Winamp, which is my default mp3 player -- so it doesn't matter what I have mp3 files associated with.

I was thinking about the registry restore too, but I wonder if it's even a registry issue.

Rog,
The reg restore was a stab in the dark. I don't know what to say. I couldn't view the source to see what was going on. And there wasn't any information as to what players were compatible. No screen came up asking me anything. Maybe Clearing cookies?

I did have a look at the source file and couldn't see anything there that would configure the player. Cookies is a thought I had too.

If we could compare with some other similar mp3 sites it would tell us whether it is a site issue or a Windows one. I think there is a different protocol for handling mp3's online, but I don't know what to look for in the registry.

Ok, I just opened it while running Regmon. Very interesting. It went looking for mp3 "winamp media file" my default, but after initially failing to find one plug-in, it settled on a Realplayer plug-in to its liking. It may just be a matter of first come first serve in the Registry search.

Rog,
Sorry for the confusion. Yes. You can view the source on the first page. The links are there and they send you to various pages with the music which is played on various players. But there is no source on these pages. And that's where the clue would be.

I don't know if there is an entry in the registry or not about how music is played on the internet. I do know that if Media Player comes up and no music is played, there is a problem. But on what end? I don't know. I wish I knew what question he was asked.

Mo', try opening it with RegMon running and see if you can figure out how it settles on a plug-in to call. It just looks like it takes whatever it comes to first to me.

I went to a site and that dialog appeared after I chose to download an Mp3.. I said yes. Media Player opened in an explorer bar on the left. (I have attached a screen shot of the dialog which I think is the same as you had)
I use IE 6. this may be different for you.

http://www.ampcast.com/search/band.php?id=10664

There was also a box to check whether or not to remember this setting. It sat there for a long time. It said Connecting. but it didn't. I refreshed the page. I am still waiting for it to do anything. I went back and it was the same thing. No action. But no dialog. The Media Player setting was remembered and it was going to use MP. But it never finished connecting. I don't know why. But I had created the same problem for myself as you have.

I chose to do a scanreg /restore

Rebooted. Went to the same site. I now had the choice again.

Bottom line is this. A scanreg /restore works. So a change is made in the reg

EDIT: I agree with ROG. It probably uses the first compatible player it finds. In my case, it was quicktime. I don't think you could see that in Regmon. I'll bet it's in a javascript on the page. It looks for certain players. At any rate, there was so much going on, I chose to take a chance and do it the short way. Regmon would have taken all night to read. LOL Sometimes it's a very annoying tool even if it is useful.

I recommend a scanreg /restore

Attachments

Rog,
Let me do a registry compare and see if it pinpoints the change made.
I'll be a few minutes.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online