1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Media Player

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by paruffus, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paruffus

paruffus Thread Starter

I have a new Toshiba laptop w Windows Vista.

I enjoy logging on the the Keeneland web site and viewing the Thoroughbred horse sales online. My old (now-retired) eight year-old computer handled this function quite nicely and for quite a long time. However the new one, which uses the Windows 11 media player, cannot seem to 'hold' the signal for any length of time.

Example: I log on and choose "View Sale Live." When buffering is complete the picture appears on the screen, but shortly thereafter the picture disappears and the buffering procedure begins again. Sometimes the picture comes back in a short time, sometimes longer. But in either case, it is only viewable for a short time and then it's gone again. And repeat.

For both my old and my new computer I have, since 2003, used high-speed dsl service through BellSouth (now AT&T). The only differences as I see it are a). I am using a new computer and b). I'm now wireless with a LINKSYS Wireless-G Broadband Router.

Can you help me? (Please be gentle :) as I'm not the swiftest computer guy you'll ever meet!).

Many thanks.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Just as a quick trouble shooting procedure you could temporarily connect a wire to the router from your computer and make sure its not a poor wireless signal/connection causing the problem.

3. ChemicalMonkey

ChemicalMonkey

yah...2 problems possible off the top of my head.

1. Your wireless network is getting interupted, do as fairnooks said, try using a stable line instead.

2. Your wireless card sucks and cant process the data as quickly as your only computers network card.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649001

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice