1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows media stream problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by opsy, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. opsy

opsy Thread Starter

I am having a problem with streaming windows media player. On things such as videos and radio. I have exhausted all of my google searches for help and have read the help guide on windows.com for this error needless to say, it was useless. The error states " windows media play can not play this file. If the file is located on the internet, please connect to the internet." I would really appreciate any help that anyone can give me. :)

2. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

If you hope for any response you need to post a few details as to what your OS is, what version of WMP you are running etc.

3. opsy

opsy Thread Starter

wmp 10, xp pro sp2, sony t340 laptop

i've tried upgrading to v. 11, didn't work.

4. t bone

t bone

hi...try this site.

choose the speed for your connection and see if wmp opens up and works.
    if not try cleaning out your temp. files and try again.

if it still doesn't work let us know what happens (the same error message or what)

5. opsy

opsy Thread Starter

the streaming radio didn;t work before or after the temp files were removed, i got the same error message. ty t bone

i really appreciate any help to this really annoying problem.

6. t bone

t bone

what browser are you using?

open internet explorer
    go to pc pitstop and on the left side click the "check active x" in tests and scans.

if it fails go thru the list of possible reasons why and change settings as needed.

7. opsy

opsy Thread Starter

I use Foxfire, the message says Active X not supported (n) :confused:

edit: everything went through fine w/ Ie though, still no luck w/ WMP

8. t bone

t bone

check out this thread about the ie tab extension for firefox.

anyway let me get this straight...if you go to the radio site i posted before using ie does it work or is the problem with both firefox and ie?

another thing...in firefox go to tools>options>content tab...see if enable java and enable java script are both checked, if not check them>ok...then try the radio site.

9. opsy

opsy Thread Starter

the radio site does not work using any browser and i get the same error in wmp saying wmp needs to connect to the internet

10. t bone

t bone

couple questions...has this ever worked?...are you sure your firewall is not blocking somehow?

a couple other thing to check if you haven't already

in wmp...>file...see if there's a check in "work offline"...if there is click on it so the check will go away.

in wmp...>tools>options...player tab..check "connect to the internet overides all other commands"...apply>ok

in wmp...>tools>options...network tab...make sure the 4 things under "streaming protocols" are checked...apply>ok

here's what the last one looks like on mine it's wmp11 but yours should probably look the same i forget...

Attached Files:

11. opsy

opsy Thread Starter

hey t bone, i tried all those things, and yes it has worked before, it was very sudden. Also i just use windows firewall. Thanks for your continued help :)

12. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

13. opsy

opsy Thread Starter

i tried eveything in there :/ i just think it's the playr, if it doesn't work w/ mozilla or ie. idk this is so frustrating :(

14. t bone

t bone

what firewall are you using?

have you checked for spyware and done a virus scan?

15. opsy

opsy Thread Starter

I am using windows firewall and have tried turning it off. I also did virus and spyware scans... all came up clear.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice