1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows messenger will not go away

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by richocki, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. richocki

richocki Thread Starter

I would like to keep the MS Windows Messenger from auto starting to the Task Bar. I have turned it off using various start up utilities but it keeps coming back. I even used the Add-Remove program to uninstall it but it is still there. This is becoming a personal thing and Microsoft seems to be winning once again. How can I uninstall it safetly or at least keep it from auto starting to the Task Bar? Am I worring about something I shouldn't be :eek: Thanks in advance Guys.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Have you gone into its preferences/options section and turned off the command to prevent it from running during startup?

Have you gone into the MSCONFIG "Startup" tab and unchecked its entries?

I use both Windows Messenger 5x and MSN Messenger 7x in my Windows XP SP2 computer, and neither one of them run during startup. They only run when I manually activate them.

3. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

Go into the Windows messenger options

Click on preferences tab

Uncheck run windows messenger on windows starts

uncheck allow windows messenger to run in the background

4. John Burns

John Burns

5. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

Messenger service is not the same thing as Windows/MSN Messenger

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you are referring to stopping the Windows Messenger Service:

Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel
    Click Performance and Maintenance
    Click Administrative Tools
    Double click Services
    Scroll down and highlight "Messenger"
    Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties
    Click the STOP button
    Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar Click OK

If you want to remove the MSN Messenger from always starting in the system tray, do

Start / Run
    Then enter in the following string: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

7. richocki

richocki Thread Starter

Thank you all for replying. The messenger I am talking about is the Windows Messenger. It is in the Program Files\Messenger folder (msmsgs.exe). As Paladin-X suggested I opened the Tools-Options within the program but there is no check box for "Run Windows Messenger on start up" but there is a "Allow windows messenger to run in the background" - I unchecked that.

I did not disable messenger in the Control Panel-Adminstrative Tools-Services as Bob suggested. I think that is the other messenger that "Shoot the Messenger" program disables that John mentioned.

I have a feeling the unchecking the "Allow windows messenger to run in the background" box may do the trick. I am going to do a restart right now and I will come back and edit this message - or add another reply .... :eek:

OK here it is --- after rebooting the unchecking of the "Allow windows messenger to run in the back ground" did not pervent it from starting on start up. I went to MSCONFIG (start up tab) and unchecked msmsgs.exe. After rebooting again it is still in the Task Bar and it has been re-checked to allow start up in MSCONFIG. As a matter of fact when I tried various Start Up utilities to stop msmsgs from loading it would always come back as allowing it to start up. I even had 2 entries - one with it disabled and another enabling it.

Anyone have any other ideas besides buying a Mac :confused: Bill Gates you will pay for this someday :rolleyes:

8. richocki

richocki Thread Starter

I finally got rid of Windows Messenger. I found a simple solution at TweakXP.com.

To uninstall it:

1. Click on the Start button and select Run.
    2. Type:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

in the text box and click OK. You will see a progress bar appear shortly as it deletes its files and it will then ask you to reboot. After the reboot the program will be gone.

This did it for me but for those with SP1 installed read on.....( I have SP2 installed and that must make a difference)

Uninstalling Messenger on computers that have Service Pack 1 installed

1. Open Control Panel from the Start menu.
    2. Choose Add or Remove Programs.
    3. Select Add/Remove Windows Components.
    4. Click to remove the checkmark next to "Windows Messenger".
    5. Click the Next button.
    6. Click the Finish button.
    7. Reboot

Note - sometimes you have have to perform BOTH operations (both the Add/Remove AND the command line removal)

Thank you all who replied to my post. Every day is a learning experience when using any MS OS :D

9. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

Did you also make sure to do the above step in bold?

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Given all the pop-up windows that can come up due to the messenger service, you might want to consider turning that off as well.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice