1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows messenger

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by reeder1976, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reeder1976

reeder1976 Thread Starter

I recently got the XP upgrade and when I upgrades windows messenger came with it. I tried to download the new version of msn messenger but when I did it just made another file for the messenger so now I have two. And when I sign on the internet the windows messenger automatically signs on. Is there a difference between windows messenger and MSN messenger and if not then how come it didn't replace the old one like it has in the past? When I did a search for it all I found was a shortcut. How can I get rid of it? Thanks for any help. Reeder.

2. reeder1976

The reason for this question because i keep getting popup ads from messenger service about anything from ad blockers to adult sights but it says it is from messenger service.

3. dobhar

dobhar

Hey reeder1976...welcome to the forum...:D

This quote comes from Microsoft...
    How are MSN Messenger and Windows® Messenger different?Windows XP comes with Windows Messenger, which remains available even after MSN Messenger 6.0 is installed on your computer.

Here are some things to keep in mind:

Only Windows Messenger can connect to the Communications Service and Exchange Instant Messaging, which are only used in corporations.
    Some programs, such as Outlook, Outlook Express, and Remote Assistance, connect to Windows Messenger by default. When you are signed in to MSN Messenger, you may appear offline to people who connect to these programs and have you listed as a contact.
    MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger can run at the same time, but only one will start automatically. You can start the other program from your list of programs (in Windows, click the Start button, point to All Programs. In most cases, MSN Messenger will start automatically whenever you start Windows, unless you turn off this setting in your Messenger options. However, if you have set up Windows Messenger for corporate instant messaging and to start automatically when you start Windows, then it will continue in this manner and MSN Messenger will not start automatically., and then click the program you want to start).
    In most cases, MSN Messenger will start automatically whenever you start Windows, unless you turn off this setting in your Messenger options. However, if you have set up Windows Messenger for corporate instant messaging and to start automatically when you start Windows, then it will continue in this manner and MSN Messenger will not start automatically.
    You can be signed in to both MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger at the same time, but not with the same .NET Passport account. For instance, you can sign in to MSN Messenger with your Passport and then sign in to Windows Messenger with a different Passport account or with your corporate instant messaging account.
    When both programs are running, you will see icons for each in your Windows taskbar (near your computer's clock). You can tell them apart by pointing to them with your mouse. When you point to an icon, a message appears telling you which program it is.
    If you are signed in to one Messenger program with your Passport and then sign in to the other one using the same account, you will be automatically signed out of the first program.

As stated you can, in the Options, turn off "Messenger" from starting automatically...(1) Under MSN Messenger click on "Tools" then "Options"...select "General" tab...deselect "Automatically run Messenger when I log into Windows" and deselect "Automatic sign in when connected to the Internet". (2) Under Windows Messenger click on "Tools" then "Preferences"...select "General" tab...deselect "Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts".

4. reeder1976

Thankyou so much dobhar. I really appreciate it.
    reeder.

5. dobhar

dobhar

If you want to uninstall MSN Messenger you can from "Add/Remove Programs" in Control Panel.

If you want to get rid of Windows Messenger you have to have SP1 for XP then under "Add/Remove Programs - Add/Remove Windows Componets" scroll down to near the bottom. Deselect Windows Messenger. If you don't have SP1 you can go to "C:\WINDOWS\inf" folder and look for a file called "sysoc.inf". (Make sure you have "Show Hidden Files and Folders" selected.) Edited the file with Notepad and look for a line under "Components that looks like "msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7". Remove the word "hide" from inbetween the ,,. Do not remove the commas "msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7". Save the file and now go into Control Panel-->Add/Remove Programs-->Add/Remove Windows Components...Windows Messenger should now show up and you can now deselect it.

Hope all this helps...

6. dobhar

dobhar

I also found this little Messenger tool at Steve Gibson's web site...

http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

Looks like it will help stop those annoying popups if ya wan to keep the "Messengers"

That's all for now...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice